Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 9, 2007, 3:00 PM   #1

Owning just a small handful of digi cameras in the past,4 weeks ago I had a Finepix E500 and was more or less happy with my rather small photos. I mean, I only ever took photos because I enjoy keeping a collection of images to look at on my PC every now and then,, nothing more... Then3 weeks ago my older brotherand I were on our way into town to see the Queen Mary 2 as itdockedin the harbour... "Got your camera?",, "Yes", as I pulled out my E500 and he pulled out his skinny wafer thinlittle Panasonic Lumix, with its image stabliizing etc etc etc...

"Yours is a Brick compared to mine isn't it - I mean look at the size of it. I doesn't have this and it doesn't have that, while mine does and mine is 6 MP. What's yours, 4 MP isn't it?"...

"Oh, is that why you had to get yours repaired - too many featuresinto too small an area?". "I never liked anything too compact, as it is asking for trouble in my opinion".

Even though I didn't like being told I owned a "Brick", in terms of digi cameras, I DID... That very afternoon, I bought a new camera. I picked out a Finepix S6000. Wow, what a difference. In the following 2 weeksimages were "alive". I was using a 'real' camera and it was as if a new world opened up. All of a sudden, I wasactuallyenjoying snapping shots left, right and, well, everywhere... Then came my younger brother, who owns a Nikon D200 and D70 - the D200 with more accessories and lensesthan all of the local newspaper reporters.... "That's not bad for a camera but you can't do this and you can't do that. Ya gotta go either Canon or Nikon beacuse, blah blah blah..."

The very next morning, in the letterbox came a flier from the local chain of retail appliance stores. I had to pick it up and look and of course digi cameras had to be in that catalog and there was the D80 - guaranteed lowest price in the country... Bullsh*t, I remember seeing one of these when I bought my S6000 for 20% cheaper. Don't ask me why but the next day I bought a D80 after reading about them on the internet and asking my brother. I shot over before work and bought it and funnily enough, on my way to work from there, my brother phoned me and asked me "Have you gota Nikonyet?'... "Yeah you bast*rd, how did you know..? I just bought a D80 Kit 18 - 135mm". "Ahhh hah hah hah, I knew you would get something, you wont regret it, that is a seriously good camera. It does this, it does that, blah blah blah... I'll come over tonight and show you how to use it".

I had the usual guilty feelings when you spend a large chunk of money and I never even looked at the camera for2 days, until yesterday. I took it out and snapped a few shots. You know what,, the image difference from the D80over the Finepix S6000 is about the same as the S6000 wasover the Finepix E500. I can't believe just how good these images look... Of course, now I have to buy this and that according to my brother, but first I have to put a few pennies away...

I am impressed with the D80, BUT, all of a sudden I feel compulsed to take photos of everything and I find myself actually planning the shot rather than just pointing and clicking. What can of worms have I opened???

I am not that sure if I can truly justify spending that much money on a camera but my brother thinks I did good... DID I...????
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2007, 3:00 PM   #2

I think this is a question you will have to answer on your own. I got my D80 this week. But I researched it for months and made absolutely sure it is what I wanted. I just felt that while my FZ5 is a great camera that was ready to take the next step. You have to weigh the amount you will use the camera and whether or not you think it is worth the expense. If money is no option and you are prepared to add lenses and accessories to get the full benefot of owning an SLR than by all means you did the right thing. It sounds to me though like you were happy being a casual shooter and let peer pressure dictate which camera you bought. You would probably be just as happy with an advanced P&S and save yourself some money. Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you secide to use.
scottdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:20 PM   #3

fewpics wrote:
Quote:
. . . I had the usual guilty feelings when you spend a large chunk of money and I never even looked at the camera for2 days, until yesterday. I took it out and snapped a few shots. You know what,, the image difference from the D80over the Finepix S6000 is about the same as the S6000 wasover the Finepix E500. I can't believe just how good these images look... Of course, now I have to buy this and that according to my brother, but first I have to put a few pennies away...

I am impressed with the D80, BUT, all of a sudden I feel compulsed to take photos of everything and I find myself actually planning the shot rather than just pointing and clicking. What can of worms have I opened???

I am not that sure if I can truly justify spending that much money on a camera but my brother thinks I did good... DID I...????
Depending on what you're interested in shooting, you don't necessarly need a ton of kit. Sometimes, less is more. Some of the worlds best photos have been taken with less sophisticated gear than you now possess.

It's encouraging your creativity.

Enjoy.

Best.

fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 8:52 AM   #4

I fully researched my D80 and sold by D70s to buy it. Since, I have read about all of it's "problems" with this and that.The sync speed is to slow, the meter is off, the noise is high, and the list goes on and on. I have also seen some of these things in my own photographs. However when I compare my pictures to people with other rigs, I soon realize my own expectations far exceed those of other people and get reset to reality. Bottom line is this is one fine camera that you have to learn to use. When my skill and the D80's ability line up the results are dazzling. Don't listen so much to what others say, learn to use what you have and enjoy it. Soon enough you will figure out what you need next. Now let me tell you what you really need...

Good luck
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 3:05 PM   #5

fewpics wrote:
Quote:

If you are having that much fun taking pictures, that is justification enough. A lot of people have a hard time finding something that they truly get excited about.

You didn't just by a camera, you bought a photography system which could last you for many many years (accidents aside). If you want to upgrade later to the latest and greatest you only have to buy the body, your lenses will still work. So the money is well spent if you enjoy it.

It seams as though you enjoy having total control of the photos you take and that is only achievable with an SLR. You may find a P&S a little restrictive now that you have experienced the SLR side of photography.

Have fun with your new hobby!
TwoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2007, 12:15 AM   #6

fewpics wrote:
Quote:
I had the usual guilty feelings when you spend a large chunk of money and I never even looked at the camera for2 days, until yesterday. I took it out and snapped a few shots. You know what,, the image difference from the D80over the Finepix S6000 is about the same as the S6000 wasover the Finepix E500. I can't believe just how good these images look... Of course, now I have to buy this and that according to my brother, but first I have to put a few pennies away...

The question of whether you did good is really subjective. Guess if you find that your new camera gives you a greater sense of enjoyment in photography as a hobby and this causes you to look for more opportunities to use the camera and you now capture more pictures with it, then generally the expense was worth it.

I've known people who purchased one decent and perhaps expensive 35mm camera kit in their lifetime...it was the best that they could afford at the time and they stuck with it until either the owner or the camera died. It didn't matter what new and improved models Nikon, Canon, or some other company released, the owner wouldn't upgrade. They were happy with the pictures taken by their old camera, they knew how to use that camera, and they saw no compelling reason to spend more money to replace something that still worked and met their expectations. With digital camera's though the level of consumer expectations has constantly been raised as the technology has evolved in recent years. Some people now might wince when thinking back at the high price they once paid years ago for the (then) new one or two megapixel digital camera they purchased compared to the price and the image quality of the newest five to ten megapixel model. Guess I'm just saying that there's been good reason for people to upgrade to a new and improved digital camera even if it might be somewhat difficult to swallow the high expense involved in replacing a product so soon which could still be working as well as when it was new.
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 5:52 PM   #7

Hey thanks for the replies..

Sounds like you guys have your own reasons for owning your own cameras, whereas I seemed to be caught up in the usual "must have" war (usually found in your own mind). In the past week or so I have experimented with the D80 and found that it indeed has some remarkable qualities but like one of you said, you have to learn how to use it - I thoroughly agree in this point. The Finepix S6500 I bought a week before the D80 is mostly used for my work, taking before and after shots of buildings we are about to modify. Our clients love to see the results of our work and before/after shots assure them that their dollars are well spent with us once they see what we have done. I simply use this camera on Auto and I have absolutely no worries about the resultant shots. They are all more than adequate for the situation, but last weekend I took the D80 to the local racetrack and snapped many shots of moving and stationary bikes ( my first real love in life - motorcycles) and I found some limits of the cameras capabilities and it also amazed me with the qualitiy that it can give you. I will have to get used to experimenting with more settings and maybe in the future I might have to get another lens more suited to this type of event...

I am, however, VERY happy I bought the D80... I also bought theMB-D80 battery grip, another battery and an SB-600 flash... I can see how many of you get excited about taking pictures as a hobby or profession. It's addictive...

Cheers and thanks for the replies...
Old Mar 22, 2007, 2:22 PM   #8

Focus on creativity and less on the technical aspects of the camera. Be aware of composition, lighting, etc ...and you'll find that a camera will just become a tool to compose your shots.

I love my D80, however i love my photos more!

eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 2:09 PM   #9

One thing I have already noticed with the D80, like you said, I am trying different ways to take pictures - trying different angles,, making sure that certain objects appear in the shot for effect,, actually "using" the sun to create an effect.. This is something I have never even considered before, as I would usually just point the camera and take the shot so I could capture image for the album. Now I am finding excuses to create an image, waiting for the "moment" then maing the most of it...

I never thought of myself as "creative" before but hey it's an interesting new aspect of my otherwise pretty straight forward life,, and I'm really enjoying it... Now I can see why my brother enjoys spending so much time and money on this hobby...