Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 9, 2007, 11:53 PM   #1

I just bought a D80 and tried to download the "Printable" user PDFmanual. Yes, I created an account at the local Nikon site but it says that my camera serial number and model don't match. There are various reasons why they don't match but I suspectit's because I didn't buy it from the authorized dealership/distribution network in this country (New Zealand), instead I bought it from a parallel importer which could mean that it is a model originally destinedfor another country... I really can't understand why this manual is so top secret as to require registration to download. In all the hundreds of items I have bought and downloaded a manual from the internet for, this is the very first one to ask for so much info JUST to get a manual. It's not as I'm trying to steal astate secret... I don't particulalry care which country it's from - as long as it's in English....

Anyone help...???
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2007, 11:18 PM   #2

fewpics, check this out:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80...uide/index.htm

Hope it meets your needs!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 7:51 PM   #3
Administrator

fewpics wrote:
Quote:
I just bought a D80 and tried to download the "Printable" user PDFmanual. Yes, I created an account at the local Nikon site but it says that my camera serial number and model don't match.
The Nikon regional distributors (Nikon Europe, Nikon Canada, Nikon USA, etc.) are all separate profit centers..

So, they don't make any money if you bypass their Authorized Distribution Network, and don't want to incur any expense by supporting cameras that were not intended for sale in their region.

This is also done in part to discourage gray market imports.

As a rule, they will also refuse to service a camera that was not intended for sale in the country you live in, even if you are willing to pay them for the service. IOW, it's not a very good idea to buy a gray market Nikon camera, unless you have money to spare if it breaks (because they will likely refuse to service it, period, and other repair centers probably can't get the parts).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 5:56 PM   #4

Hmmm,, so I have found... It's not as if I was stealing the thing,, but I soon learned of their policies and their "closed market" attitiude... You never seem to be able to have your cake and eat it - do you???

Cheers...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 2:45 AM   #5

http://services.yesmembers.net/yes/nikon_D80.asp
felipedjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 2:46 AM   #6

http://services.yesmembers.net/yes/nikon_D80.asp
felipedjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 6:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Hmmm,, so I have found... It's not as if I was stealing the thing,, but I soon learned of their policies and their "closed market" attitiude... You never seem to be able to have your cake and eat it - do you???
It's not just Nikon. Most other camera vendors have the same policies as do electronic vendors. These "closed markets" exist because there are different costs associated with doing business in different countries. If they don't protect their local distributors, dealers will just buy from the cheapest country.

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote