Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 14, 2007, 1:33 PM   #1

Hi all. I am new to the world of Nikon DSLR and have one or two questions which I require some help with. In your replies please be as concise as possible, and not too technical Lol...
I have a Nikon D50 that I am really very pleased with. Over the last few weeks I have been adding to the camera with a SB600 and also a remote control. Unfortunately I cannot get the SB600 to work remotely or indeed the remote device to operate the D50. Are there any settings I need to make to either the camera or the SB600? I really am struggling with this. Many thanks to you all that read this, and special thanks to all that can help.......
bootybandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2007, 1:48 PM   #2

bootybandy wrote:
Quote:
Hi all. I am new to the world of Nikon DSLR and have one or two questions which I require some help with. In your replies please be as concise as possible, and not too technical Lol...
I have a Nikon D50 that I am really very pleased with. Over the last few weeks I have been adding to the camera with a SB600 and also a remote control. Unfortunately I cannot get the SB600 to work remotely or indeed the remote device to operate the D50. Are there any settings I need to make to either the camera or the SB600? I really am struggling with this. Many thanks to you all that read this, and special thanks to all that can help.......
I cannot help with the SB600, but if the remote you mean is the little infra red one, then you need to press the self timer button two or three times on the D50 to activate reception. Pressing twice puts it in delay mode and three times instant mode, from memory.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 1:54 PM   #3
rey

I've never tried the remote when the flash is on, but does the remote works when the external flash is not connected?

Did you set the camera to be remotely-triggered? It's the button on top, the same as the timer button. Keep pressing it until it shows the remote icon.

To test if the camera is receiving the remote's signal at all, set the lens so that it's out of focus. If the camera is receiving the signal, you should hear the auto focus motor try to focus. If you point it on dark subject, you'll even see the AF assist light come on.

Lastly, is this the Nikon remote? Because they sell a lot of modified remotes on eBay. Some works, some don't while others need to be calibrated. I have no experience with these since I bought the Nikon one.

Good Luck!
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2007, 1:57 PM   #4

Great, that works. :-) Thanks Keith. So come on guys 'n gals how can I solve the SB600 problem.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 1:58 PM   #5

Hi Rey, the remote issue has been resolved, and yes I do have the Nikon remote.:-)
Old Mar 14, 2007, 2:03 PM   #6

bootybandy wrote:
Quote:
Great, that works. :-) Thanks Keith. So come on guys 'n gals how can I solve the SB600 problem.
Only a wild guess, but have you tried the manual?

Keith.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 2:10 PM   #7

I have, and so has my local camera shop (London Camera Exchange) all to no avail. :?:
Old Mar 14, 2007, 2:24 PM   #8

Are you sure the SB600 can be controlled remotely by the D50? The D70 has "commander mode" which allows remote flash control, the D50 doesn't. To remotely control a flash from the D50 you may need the SU-800 commander unit.

Keith.
Old Mar 14, 2007, 4:51 PM   #9

I think that was one of the issues they were considering at the LCE. I think a closer look at the user manual is in order to try and make a little more sense of it.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 12:54 AM   #10

The D50's pop up flash cannot be used a remote commander to fire an SB600 off camera. The only way to fire an SB600 or SB800 remotely with the D50 is to attach an SB800 to the D50 and use it as the commander flash. This is one of the limitations of the D50. If you need to use this function you're better off with the D70s or D80, as their pop up flashes can be used as commander flashes.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote