Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 16, 2007, 11:32 PM   #1

I aquired a Qunataray 7500a for a Nikon SLR camera. I have found that it has a trigger voltage of 5v. I can not find what the safe voltage is for the D50. I am guessing that 5v is OK. I would like to know for sure. Does anyone know what a safe voltage is for this camera?
stevem1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2007, 3:26 PM   #2

From Nikon's site:

Nikon Digital SLR cameras (D1X, D2X, D2Xs, D2H, D2Hs,D100, D200, D70, D70s, D50, D40& D80) can be used with third-party studio strobe systems when extra light is needed.
The strobes are connected to the camera's PC connector (use the AS-15 Adapter on the D100/D80/D70/D70s/D50 to add this necessary connector plug) and will fire when the camera's shutter opens.If a camera has a built in sync terminal, thismay be used instead of the AS-15.

D-SLR's require a "tip positive" sync connection to an external strobe units. On some external strobe units the sync polarity is easy to change because they use the "household" type plug. If the strobes do not fire, simply turn the plug around and insert it with the male pin connectors in the other holes. Other types of connectors (such as the standard "phono" plug) are not generally changeable by the user.

Set the camera's shutter speed to the sync speed
1/250th: D2X, D2Xs, D2H, D2Hs, D200
1/50050, D40D70, D70s
1/180: D100
1/200: D80
or slower and then set the aperture based on the flash units output. No Program modes ("A" "S" or "P") can be used when using external strobes, as the camera has no way to meter or control external units.
Warning: Negative voltages or voltages over 250 V applied to the camera's sync terminal could not only prevent normal operation, but may damage the sync circuit of the camera or flash. Check with the strobe manufacturer for voltage specifications.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 9:47 PM   #3
Administrator

If it's 5 volts, it should not be a problem. That's what I see it's been measured at by one user here:

http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

That's a Ritz store brand flash (and I'm not sure who makes it for them). If you've got the correct foot on it (the foot is interchangeable for different camera systems), it will mostly likely work. You'd have to try it to see.

If you don't have the right foot for Nikon models, Ritz carries the foot for Nikon AF cameras here so that it uses the correct pins in the hotshoe to communicate with the camera (but, I don't know if it's fully compatible with the Nikon DSLR models or not).

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/53...%3Bpi531660678

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:38 PM   #4

Thanks.

The chart that Jim gave a link to is the same one I used to get my info. Hopefully it is correct. I see Ritz sells a different shoe for film SLR and a different one for DSLR.

I have checked around with other forums. It seems like nobody has any info on this company, other than it is Wolfs/Ritz house brand.

It looks like it will be safe to use. I will just have to play with it to get the setting right. It came along as a freebe with a lens I just bought.
stevem1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 7:12 AM   #5
Administrator

stevem1928 wrote:
Quote:
I see Ritz sells a different shoe for film SLR and a different one for DSLR.
Yes, you're right. My guess is that you'll need the one designed for digital.

I looked at the accessories list under the flash on this page to find the other one and only saw one for Nikon AF cameras (the one I posted a link to earlier, mentioning that I did not know if it would be fully compatible with Nikon DSLR models or not):

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/531660678.htm

But, when I saw your last post, I did a search for just the module and found this one designed for digital. They really ought to include it in the accessories list for the flash. lol

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/531660959.htm

The problem you may run into if it's got the older module on it is that flash systems were redesigned for digital to use a metering preflash. So, sometimes older systems won't work correctly on digital. Some units designed for film may only fire at full power unless you use manual power settings (and this one only has two manual power options shown in the online specs -- full power or 1/16 second)

You'd have to try it and see if it works or not in TTL mode with the module you got with it. If not, it looks like it will cost you around $70 for the foot they show works with Nikon Digital Cameras. Ritz has a pretty good return policy. So, if you decide the flash isn't working well enough with the newer module on your camera, you could probably get your money back (check with Ritz for any restrictions and specifics). Since the digital module listing specifically mentions the D50, it will probably work fine with one (but, you never know about these things). lol

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote