Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 17, 2007, 5:57 PM   #1

Hi all....

Not really sure if I need the D80 "FIRMWARE UPDATE"

I looked to see what VER, mine had

A - 1.01
B - 1.01

The Nikon website was vague on what the new update addressed and said not to update if the D80 had "what I thought was the installed firmware ver" could some one give me a little help on this .I don't want to do nothing that would harm my camera...and what changes will be made to my camera.....

please respond

thx willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:02 AM   #2

My D80's firmwareis also A - 1.01 and B - 1.01... So both you and I have NO NEED to update as the latest version is 1.01...

A - 1.01 - means that the current version in YOUR camera is 1.01

B - 1.01 - means that you can/are about to, update to 1.01...

Let me explain....

Let's say you had firmware version 1.00 presently in your camera.. You download version 1.01 since it is newer. You let the software do its thing and import the newer 1.01 into your D80's memory but do NOT update just yet. Now if you were to view your firmware version at this particular point, you would see...

A-1.00

B-1.01

becuase the current version (A) is 1.00 and you have (B) 1.01 waiting to update.

At this point you can let your cameras software perform the actual update and after, if you checked, you would see...

A-1.01

B-1.01

Since you see this already and the very latest firmware is 1.01, you DON'T have to worry... "B" only represents the particular area of your cameras memory which holds the latest downloaded/imported firmware available...

Let's say tomorrow Nikon released a newer firmware, let's say version 1.02, and you downloaded it and let the cameras software prepare for an update. It would import the 1.02 firmware ready to update and hold it in THAT area of memory I mentioned above... If you checked your firmware at this point, you would see...

A-1.01

B-1.02

If you performed the update you would then see...

A-1.02

B-1.02

If youDIDN'T actually do the above 1.02 update and the day after, Nikon released yet another firmware update, say 1.03, and you downloaded it and entered it into the D80's memory, you would see...

A-1.01

B-1.03

You could then perform the update and see...

A-1.03

B-1.03

If you still aren't confused,, all you really have to worry about is "A" because that is what your D80's current firmware is at the time of viewing it in the menu... The actual updating is also done via the menu...

I only briefly read the manual after I too saw the A-1.01 / B-1.01 and wondered why 2 entries. I then realized it is similar to many other firmware updating procedures but they are only telling you - what you have and what you could have...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:31 AM   #3

Here's a link. It's for the New Zealand Nikon site (since I live here) but it will be universal in procedure.... It gives the FULL procedure...

http://nikonasia-en.custhelp.com/cgi...mp;p_topview=1

Hope it helps...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:23 AM   #4

Thank you so much my friend!!!!!!!!

Few - it was nice to see it explained to that degree now I get it :G

thx again pal....

willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote