Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 17, 2007, 8:04 PM   #1

As I am new to the DSLR scene I have heard people talk about RAW and JPG. I understand about JPG, but what is RAW and is it a superior way of saving shot's? What are the up's and down's of each format and what do you prefer? Thanks for your help.
bootybandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2007, 6:27 AM   #2

Welcome to the DSLR world and the forum, bootyband. Yes, RAW can be a superior way of saving shots and this question gets asked a lot on the forum and in others. Look around a bit and search for the topic then see what questions you have remaining. Adobe also has some good information about it.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 1:55 PM   #3

bootybandy wrote:
Quote:
As I am new to the DSLR scene I have heard people talk about RAW and JPG. I understand about JPG, but what is RAW and is it a superior way of saving shot's? What are the up's and down's of each format and what do you prefer? Thanks for your help.
new myself having just got a D80 and was given this lead.

very good read....

http://ronbigelow.com/articles/raw/raw.htm
towershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 3:11 PM   #4

The simplest way I can explain it is, RAW is having the negative, JPEG is having the print.

Hopefully you're got a little experience with film to understand what I am saying.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:01 PM   #5

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...aw-files.shtml has a good explanation.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm has a rebuttal!
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 10:09 AM   #6

RAW files (NEF in the case of Nikon) are files that contain pure information. By this I mean information that has not been processed by the camera. If you shot something in JPEG and it was 1 stop under exposed, that is what you get, because it was processed by the camera. If you shot the same thing the same way in RAW, you could actually change the EV, white balance, color, sharpness, etc in a RAW processor on you computer. Raw allows the shooter to process the image they way he wants it to look, not what the camera thinks it should look like.
GerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 8:55 AM   #7

By virtue of practice, practice, practice and getting to know your cameras capabilities you can skip shooting raw altogether and use the camera hardware to your advantage.

Raw gives one quite a bit of latitude to get the shot the way they want it to look but generally speaking I don't have the time to do much more than crop, resize and USM my shots. Gives me more time with the camera learning than sitting down fixing shots.

It's all in the matter of what gets it done for you in the end. That's why there is a choice and people will stand by what they choose since it meets their needs.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 10:51 AM   #8

If you shoot in RAW format, you have an opportunity totake advantage new post processing software that may be developed in the future. You loose this capability with JPEG files......
Bob Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 10:54 AM   #9

Bob Nichol wrote: I think Ken Rockwell has lost a lot of respect for his opinions in the field of photography!!!!
Bob Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 12:18 PM   #10

Bob Ayers wrote:
Quote:
I think Ken Rockwell has lost a lot of respect for his opinions in the field of photography!!!!
I read Ken's page every day or so. He will never be accused of following the herd when it comes to his reviews and recommendations. Always entertaining. I tried the RAW vs. JPG deal for myself and agree with Ken for my own pictures. The difference in the print was not noticeable even at 13x19 to my unprofessional eyes. So I use JPG and don't worry about it. I may play withRAW some more and if I see the perfect opportunity I will tryagain. I usually go the purest route on things like this, but JPG just works for me, unless I have to edit more than once, then I stick with PSD.

Youcan't faultKen's enthusiasm, he loves to type.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote