Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:19 PM   #1

took over 37-GBs/5,500+ separate D50 & FZ30 images (>10,000 RAW+JPG files) during our whirlwind 9-Day bus tour to Beijing, Suzhou, Hangzhou and Shanghai. Left LAX at Sat 1:30AM and arrived to snow in Beijing Sun 6:30-AM -- 12-hour flight through 16-time zones. Rest of the tour saw pretty good - great weather except for haze/fog/some drizzle in Shanghai for the last full day/nite in China (of course, that's when we went to the Bund waterfront; next morning was a glorious blue sky!).

I've spent the lastsix days uploading, organizing and doing quick Picasa2 post processing of the initial ~1,000 images taken from the Temple of Heaven and the Great Wall through our flight to Shanghai on Wednesday.I've posted these low resolution, quickly processed images on my new Smugmug account for those who wish to view.

It looks like it'll be a bunch more days of sorting/processing and posting to get all of the images addressed.

All in all it was an experience of a lifetime for someone who's never been further out of the US than Ensenada.... As I go through the rest of the images and get them grouped, I'll post additional galleries covering the individual venues we went through plus some galleries of my 'shoot-from-the-hip and 'through-the-bus-windows' images of the passing streets/scenery/people, as well.

Since we received a coupon for a free photo book when we got our passports, I plan on using the following image on the title page to show through the cover's opening... quite apropo I believe...

[align=center]Image control: Zoom out | Zoom 100% | Zoom in | Expand / Contract | New window[/align]

We really lucked out with the weather as the forecasted day of arrival rains was really snow. Didn't really help for taking images at the Temple of Heaven but I still was able to get a few. The front blew through overnight so the rest of the week was almost perfect for photos with little to minimal haze at most all sites during the entire 7-days in country.

As others had commented, the 18-70 DX lens was used predominately. A few times I wish I had something a bit wider. Since we were rushed through 5-7 venues each day, there wasn't a lot of time to set up and take images, much less change lenses. I was able to use the 70-300 Tamron at the West Lake to good use. I also used my 35 f/2 a couple of times.

All in all, though, the 18-70 DX Nikon was my bread winner with good results. The SB-600 also earned its fare at a number of sites. The 18-200 VR lens would probably be the way to go if I were to go again on this type of fast-paced 'highlight' tour. I had to revert back to my birding mentality of going with Auto-Program and letting the camera set the settings for me in most cases. My one big regret was overlooking setting Auto-ISO, or maybe 400-ISO for the night time Bund Waterfront images... I missed a lot of great money-shots due to using manual handheld at 1/15-seconds and f/3.5.

[align=center]Image control: Zoom out | Zoom 100% | Zoom in | Expand / Contract | New window[/align]

The PanyFZ30 with its OIS did pretty good when used and really great for the movies of the acrobat performance in the low-light theater...

Its back to work on Monday so I'll have to apportion my time to post process the remaining images. I may just run them through on a batch processing to see how Picasa2 does. For the most part, Picasa2's Auto Contrast and Auto Color seems to do a fair job... I have a lot of images from the flight back starting over Russia's Kamchatka Penisula - Bering Straits - SW Alaska that really are interesting that I may have to post earlier. Of course, though, the West Lake rock-carved Buddahs and the Temples/shrines and Tiger Hill & Lingering Gardens have some really great scenes/images in their own right...

tsk, tsk, so much to do and so little time to do them...
;-}

http://telecorder.smugmug.com/
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2007, 10:01 PM   #2

Great work my man !!! I had a look at your smug mug post and was very impressed !! A lot of work in getting all them photos up I bet :G

BTW... what level of account do you have on smug mug I like the idea of being able to sell a print or 2.....very cool indeed

willow
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 11:48 PM   #3

willow1 wrote:
Quote:
Great work my man !!! I had a look at your smug mug post and was very impressed !! A lot of work in getting all them photos up I bet :G

BTW... what level of account do you have on smug mug I like the idea of being able to sell a print or 2.....very cool indeed

willow
And that was with minimal processing in Picasa2...

I only have the Standard account... to set your own print prices for a personal profit, I believe, you have to have a Professional account at $150/year...

http://www.smugmug.com/pro/

In my case, I've only uploaded low resolution images so if someone wants a print of an image, they'll need to contact me for a personalized-processed, high resolution file to make any sizeable print. If I were to decide to charge for my processing time and/or sell a printed image, I can set a price, choose the lab on my end and do whatever markup I feel appropriate...

http://www.smugmug.com/price/

The standard account does allow for an accountcredit if someone signs up and uses you as a 'reference'
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:48 AM   #4

thx for the info...I was looking around and seen where on all standard accounts but your's the price for a 4x6 is like 5.00 bucks and your price is something like 19 cents,so did you set your price at 19 cents? and if say someone does sell a 4x6 print for 5.00 does that person get any of the money?And do you get any of the 19 cents for the one you sell?It explained the pricing ver profit on the PRO account but see nothing on the standard accounts..just kinda wondering how it works on the standard acc....
willow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:29 AM   #5

To be honest, I hadn't looked at pricing of the prints. You're correctthatin putting a print in the cart shows $0.19 for a 4 x 6 print. I guess I'll have to look into this aspect. I posted mainly to share the images and have a web host for posting in forums.

As best as I can determine, one needs a Smugmug Pro account to set prices on image prints and receives a % of the mark up...