Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 19, 2007, 7:40 PM   #1
Log

a sad day
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:24 PM   #2

Agreed.

Glad I got mine. The way Nikon's going, my next dSLR could well be a Canon. And as a 30 yr loyal Nikon user & evangalist, that's no small thing to me . . .

fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 5:55 AM   #3

I don't believe its a sad day. The new D40x came out and its more bang for the

bucks. Did we cry when our old IBM pcs were discontinued and we got faster and

cheaper new ones?:P
digital demon47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:02 AM   #4

Weird, I thought the D50 was discontinued awhile ago? And why does it matter?

Every model is bound to be discontinued at some point, which doesn't keep the camera from working.
bravedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:08 AM   #5

digital demon47 wrote:
Quote:
I don't believe its a sad day. The new D40x came out and its more bang for the

bucks. Did we cry when our old IBM pcs were discontinued and we got faster and

cheaper new ones?:P
The problem is that the starting price for anyone wanting to use non-AFS lenses is now considerably higher (D80). I would have expected something to replace the D50 before it was discontinued. Still, maybe it won't be too long before the D60 is released.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 7:28 AM   #6

I just bought my D50 and had I not found one I would not have been able to go with Nikon. The D80 is too high for me right now and I didn't feel good about the D40 AF configuration. I agree that there is a need for a middle model between the D40(x) and the D80.

Fastglass, if you don't mind my asking, what else is fueling your desire to move away from Nikon?

TwoStep
TwoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 4:36 PM   #7

The D50 is my first DSLR and I would sill buy it again today. Just because Nikon have discontinued that model doesn't mean that you still can't buy them new. If I was completely new to DSLR today and the D50 was not available I would try and afford the D70 or D80. It might take me a little while longer to save up, but I think the Nikon brand will shine through in whatever model you decide. I am more than pleased with my D50. Carry on Nikon, and give us more.......
bootybandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 1:09 AM   #8

TwoStep wrote:
Quote:
I just bought my D50 and had I not found one I would not have been able to go with Nikon. The D80 is too high for me right now and I didn't feel good about the D40 AF configuration. I agree that there is a need for a middle model between the D40(x) and the D80.

Fastglass, if you don't mind my asking, what else is fueling your desire to move away from Nikon?

TwoStep

Not at all. I just hope I can do justice to your inquiry.

Just as the 35mm Pros have abandon Nikon in mass for abandoning them, it looks like Nikon is now set tothrow overboardthe semi-pro & serious amateur.

1) I do not want to abandon Nikon.

And, I do not want Nikon to abandon me.

But for me,the least expensive camera currently inthe Nikon line that I would consider is the D200.And given Canon's choices & Pentax's in-roads & innovations, that may be not beenough.

2) The fact that I can adapt/mount anyNikon SLR Lens ever made to a D40 series camera means nothing . . . w/o the ability to meter the exposure in camera (yes I have a Luna Pro & Pentax Zone System meters - they're not convinent enough for 35mm/dSLR shooting). Plus, the ability to utilize autofocus, if I so desire . . . & I do . . . especially with the small cropped sensor dSLRview-finders and worthless dSLR "focus-screens".

3) Nikon can dilude themselfs, their dealers, the press & anyone else who will listen that croppped sensors are "it" for dSLR's- but if they're not already well on the way to24 x 36 full-frame sensor cameras,Canon will take the last of the remaning Nikon Pros . . . as well as the Semi-Pros & serious-amaturs from Nikon when the f-fs's prices come down (& it's just a matter of time).

Andsoon there-after . . . . .will go away fro Nikon the "snap-shooters" whom Nikon so fancies.

Sure the"snaps"are the bulk of the dSLR market. But will Nikon still havethe "snaps"interest when theywant the "full-size" sensors & cameras "like the Pros use?"

Just likethe "snaps"want more mega-pixels now - it's only a matter of time until the want larger sensors. More of a good thing has got to be better - & in the case of larger-sensors (like larger negatives) IT IS!

How long did "compact" 110mm film & that great invention, the rotating disc (can't remember the name) last again?

So for now, i'm enjoying whatlooks to be the nearly last hurrah of Nikon . . . the middle of the end . . . with my niceD50 & Tokina 12 - 24 (seemingly nicer & more Pro quality, plus much less expensive than Nikons 1.8xplasticoffering). . . & remembering the good old days, & how it used to be when Nikon was the SLR king. . .

And when med format get more affordable again. . .

:|

Best.

imo

copyright fastglass 2007.
fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:33 AM   #9

Fastglass,

Thank you for your explanation, this is enlightening to Nikon's actions and discouraging as well. Having just bought into the Nikon system after months of research I really wanted to use the system for years to come. So I will have to maintain the kind of hope that bootybandy has expressed and cross my fingers.

Thanks,

TwoStep
TwoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:47 AM   #10

Twostep I don't think you need worry, Nikon will be around for a while yet. It's true the D40 is a poor replacement forthe D50 maily because of the lack of support for any but AF-S lens. However if you have a D50 and are happy with it you don't need a replacement. I have no idea what Nikon plan, I'd hope there will be a D60 as a 10Mp replacement for the D50. If not there's the D80 at present and there's sure to be more before you need to upgrade, that's if you ever need to upgrade. The D50 is capable of producing great pictures that can be blown up to A4 and even A3.

Fastglass makes points about the 110 and disc camera formats. Well the 110 format lasted about 10 years and lives on in the extremely small sensors in most compact digi cams. Also it's not a true comparison. Smaller sensors are prone to noise but if it's a 6Mp sensor it's still 6Mp and using lower ISos and improved technology gets around the noise problem to some extent. 110 and 35mm film camers used the same emulsion so the smaller the film the lower number of photosites so quality was always far lower.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote