Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:39 AM   #1

Other areas of this forum are discussing the merits of the D50 discontinuation, etc....I find myself very curious as to why the D2Hs is still in the Nikon line-up.....according to Nikon's website, it's a 4.1 megapixel, $3500 body! Who wants that, anymore?
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Administrator

What makes you think most people really need more than 4 Megapixels? :-)

It's a pro level body with an ultra fast, ultra sensitive, tracking Autofocus System that will give you faster target acquistion and better tracking in less than optimum lighting, with more advanced AF sensors and processors. It's got robust build quality and it can shoot at 8 frames per second (and you can select different frame rates from 1 to 8 fps if desired). It can actually buffer up to 40 raw images at 8 frames per second, too.

A sports shooter would appreciate a model like the D2Hs, where they need the kind of build quality and shutter reliability a pro level body provides, along with the better Autofocus System, larger buffer, faster frame rate, faster write speeds to media, support for wireless transmission of images via options and more.

Besides, that's list not street price. You can get one from a reputable vendor like B&H for only $2,995.95. ;-)

Nikon D2Hs at B&H

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:03 AM   #3

I knew there would be a reason....thanks for enlightening me!:-)

Perhaps a second part of the same question....the D2Xs, (+ $1,000) has 12+ megs and, I imagine, most of the same benefits of the D2Hs, so does it not seem logical that the D2Hs is a soon to be replaced/upgraded member of the line-up? It seems there is a fairly large price gap between the D200 and the top end, now.

Sorry for the (probably) uninformed questions, but I've been wondering what one does to go beyond the D80 level that I am at right now. The D200 looks like lots of cool new stuff, but the next step beyond offers even more, but right now, at the expense of more "croppable", larger pixs.

Thanks for your input and opinions.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 12:44 PM   #4
Administrator

The D2Hs has higher usable ISO speeds for one thing.

That's one benefit of a 4MP sensor. The Photosites for each pixel are larger. ;-)

That means they have more surface area, so they can generate a stronger signal for each photosite compared to using smaller photosites in a higher resolution sensor (which you'd need to do in order to stuff more of them into the same size sensor).

That means the signal level will be higher above the noise floor of the sensor electronics and other noise sources, and will require less amplifcation for the same sensitity to light. So, you get higher usable ISO speeds with lower noise levels. A larger photosite for each pixel can also mean a bit better dynamic range.

It's not such much the quantity of the pixels, it's the quality of the pixels. :-)

Now, advances are being made in sensor design, microlenses to help amplify the light hitting each individual photosite and more. So, you really need to compare sensors on a case by case basis. A camera's image processing algorithms (including noise suppression) also come into the equation if you're shooting JPEG. If you're shooting raw, you'll have more flexibility (and the D2Hs can buffer 40 frames shooting raw at up to 8 frames/second).

But, everything else being equal (and it never is), the larger the photosite size, the better the higher ISO speed peformance.

The D2X series camera have a high speed crop mode that allows 8fps at 6.8 Megapixels. These models also use the came Autofocus sensor assembly found in the D2H series models.

But, the D2H series cameras will outperform them at higher ISO speeds that low light sports shooters may need. Even for other purposes, the D2H shines in areas like Dynamic Range. I've seen some pretty nice images from them taken by photographers shooting portraits and people, too.

More Megapixels is not always better, depending on your intended purpose for a camera. You've got to take other things into consideration, like shooting and lighting conditions, subject type, print sizes needed and more.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 2:34 PM   #5

Thanks, Jim...very informative...

Not sure if it's gotten me any closer to a decission on my next camera :roll:

Oh well...it's a ways off, anyway.

Thanks, again

Kita