Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 21, 2007, 5:27 PM   #1

What is the maximum memory card that can be used with the D50. I have just bought a 4Gb card but I think that either the D50 will not accept it or the card is corrupt. CHA flashes in the info panel on the top of the Camera.
bootybandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2007, 11:22 PM   #2

There is a websight www.robgalbraith.com that does a pretty thorough job of evaluating memory card performance on many different cameras, including the D50. From that chart it appears that the D50 will only write to a 4gb card. That the largest size the camera can format is 2gb. And, you might have to do a firmware upgrade to get the D50 to write to a 4gb card.
Dadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 2:54 AM   #3

Thanks Dadeo, It would appear that the D50 will write to a 4gb card, but the camera cannot format a disc that size. It looks as if I can get the card formatted elsewhere and then the D50 will happily write to it.
Thanks for the website link. Good stuff.
bootybandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 1:06 PM   #4

I have a 4 GB memory card on my D50 and i love it, it can hold more than 450 pictures.
j3ss1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 4:15 PM   #5

Usually "formatting" in devices such as digital cameras is not an actual "format" say like in your PC/HDD. It just wipes out existing pitures and updates the data entry point which holds file names and info etc. It is a Low Level type of formatting which makes the entire card available to be used again. It is similar to a "Delete All" but it properly deletes the files instead of only partially deleting a file like the "Delete" option does. Partial deletes still leave the actual image in memory but it means they are open to being overwritten...

It is quite possible that cards larger than that specified in your manual can be satisfactorily used. Unfortunately, the only way to find out it to try it and if it doesn't want to work, you are out of pocket... I want to find out if an 8GB card will work in my D80, even though it suggests that cards up to 4GB can be used. There weren't any 8GB cards around when the D80 was released, so I suspect this is the only reason it wasn't inlcuded... In a recent Finepix E500 I owned, the manual specified up to a 512mb XD card could be used, but I ran a 1GB card with no problems. One day I happened to in a PC store buying other stuff when I caught sight of the 1GB card. I had the E500 with mebut I didn't have the manual, so I just bought it and slotted it in. It fired up no problems and worked without fault for the next 12 months, til just 2 months ago when I gave it away and bought a Finepix S6000 and it work in that fine now. The S6000's manual only states up to 2GB XD cards can be used. I can't find such an animal as a 4GB XD card or I might try that in the S6000...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2007, 9:51 PM   #6
Log

Dadeo wrote:
Quote:
There is a websight http://www.robgalbraith.com that does a pretty thorough job of evaluating memory card performance on many different cameras, including the D50. From that chart it appears that the D50 will only write to a 4gb card. That the largest size the camera can format is 2gb. And, you might have to do a firmware upgrade to get the D50 to write to a 4gb card.
as far as im aware, the d50 hasnt had any firmware upgrades... if i am wrong, please fill me in as id be updating it ASAP if there was.
Log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2007, 8:17 AM   #7

Log,

You are right. There have been no D50 upgrades. Anyone wanting to know about your Nikon camera can find any upgrades here

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...mp;p_topview=1

Divertwo
divertwo is offline   Reply With Quote