Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:08 PM   #1

Anyone have any experience with the 70-300VR and a teleconverter? I know that many opinions are that the lens is too slow and imagewill bedegraded and and and...

However, I routinely seeconverters used with great results on lens that are not considered candidates for converters. These are usually shots in good light but that is fine for most of my shots.

Thanks for any comments.
atomhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:43 AM   #2

Nikon specifically says no TC's are compatible with that (or any of the AF-s zoom ) lens. You will lose af, and from what I understand,could possibly damage the rear element. Besides, this lens is not very strong optically at 300mm, which is where you'll be using it with a TC (otherwise you wouldn't need a tc!!), and all those issues will be magnified. I'm sure the lens is usable with a TC, just don't expect great, consistent results.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2007, 1:45 PM   #3

Nikon's site does say that it's tc's are compatible with it's AF-S len's (the 70-300 VR is not listed as one of them). However, I have never been happy with the sharpness of the 70-300 VR, and of course, it is slightly short for most wildlife. So I do shoot at 300mm 90% of the time. A tc is not the answer with this lens.
atomhart is offline   Reply With Quote