Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 26, 2007, 4:08 PM   #1

I often have scenes which I want to photograph which have a wider dynamic range than can be captured while retaining colour and detail in the shadow areas. I have experimented with HDR software and tweeking a straight shot in Paintshop but never seem to get the results I want. The HDR shots show some of the features I am looking for - maybe I'm just not good enough at using the software to get the best out of it. I wondered if a graduated ND filter may be a better way of achieving what I want in a single shot? Any one use graduated ND filters and/or HDR for such scenes?

Below is an example of what I am often faced with. The top left is a straight shot. The top right is a tweeked version of the original with Paintshop. The other four images are from various HDR demo packages. Particularly in the lower right picture you can see some of the rich colours (a bit too rich) that I would like to see in the original wihtout blowing out the sky. Unfortunately it seems to come at the expense of some ghostly effects in the hills on the right hand side.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Keith.
Attached Images

keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:04 AM   #2
rey

From your description, it seems like you used the same image for HDR. I think HDR will work much better if you bracket your shots, instead of combining a modified version of the same image. This is especially true if you have a bright sky, since a blown-out sky cannot be recovered in PP.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2007, 11:12 AM   #3

rey wrote:
Quote:
From your description, it seems like you used the same image for HDR. I think HDR will work much better if you bracket your shots, instead of combining a modified version of the same image. This is especially true if you have a bright sky, since a blown-out sky cannot be recovered in PP.
No, I took around 5 shots, bracketed up to 4 stops each side, but I only used three in the HDR tests I did because some of the shots were too extreme.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote