Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:03 PM   #1

I would like to do some low light photography with the D40, and need a faster lens than the kit lens. I know the 50 1.4 won't autofocus, but will it meter?

mtnmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2007, 1:38 AM   #2

yes, it'll meter. i have one on my d70s. really good lens here
clemong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 8:01 AM   #3

Look in your manual, The D70 is different then the D40. I'm pretty sure it will not function on a D40. To keep the costs down Nikon left a few features off of the D40.

I'm sure your D40 manual will tell what len's can be used.

Ronnie
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:13 AM   #4

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
. . . Nikon left a few features off of the D40 . . .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

good one.

fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 8:54 AM   #5

Hi mtnmac,

D40 has no focusing motor incorporated, It will only focus with AF-S & AF-I lenses.

G or D AF Nikon lenses will work in manual focus mode.

non -CPU lenses can be used but only in manual exposure mode and the metering will not function.

If you get a Nikon 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 be sure you get a "D" lens. It will not auto-focus but a "D" type lens will meter.

I got this information from the April issue of Shutterbug on page 94. I hope this helps.

Ronnie,

PS: Hey FASTGLASS,

I did not say the D40 was no good, I just said it was devoid of a lot of features that the D50, D70, D80 & D200 have. The D40 is still a very good camera and when the limitation's are learned it will take incredible photographs.

Reading the Manual is the best source of learning what a camera is capable of.

Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:07 AM   #6
Administrator

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
non -CPU lenses can be used but only in manual exposure mode and the metering will not function.

[snip]

I did not say the D40 was no good, I just said it was devoid of a lot of features that the D50, D70, D80 & D200 have. The D40 is still a very good camera and when the limitation's are learned it will take incredible photographs.
A small point. The D50, D70, D70s and D80 won't meter with a non-CPU Lens either, and you should not even attempt to mount non-AI lenses (or lenses that not have been converted to AI), as you can damage the camera or lens according to Nikon.

Nikon left off the metering coupling you have with the D200 on all of the current lower priced bodies (a mechanical AI coupling is on the D200). So, you'd be "shooting blind" without a meter in the camera if you attempted to use non-CPU Lenses on any of those models mentioned except for the D200.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 12:30 PM   #7

Ronnie948 wrote:
Quote:
PS: Hey FASTGLASS

Ronnie,

A point & shoot can "take good photographs" - so what.

The slr/dslris about the "System" you are "buying into."

The D40/D40x cannot effectively use about 85% of the dslr compatable lenses in the "Nikon System." (including Nikon's 50mm f1.4 that the thread author is interested in)

IMO that's Far More Than the "Little Thing" that some try & make it out to be.

Best.
fastglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2007, 3:58 PM   #8

Hi FastGlass & JimC,

As you all know, A lot of people just jump on a DSLR they can afford because it is less expensive. We all know that they should have researched more before purchasing a camera. Well, they don't so all we can do is try to help them as best we can after they already spent their money.

Most people don't even read the manual that came with the camera. The manual's from Nikon are pretty darned informative if people would just sit down with the camera and read what it says.

Ronnie,
Old Apr 5, 2007, 4:29 PM   #9

I have recently bought a D40 (my first DSLR following positive P&S andsuper zoom experience) after many months of research so may well be atypical. From reading as many posts as possible, I realised that the choice of lens was more important than the camera body and established that there was enough choice of lens with Nikon for my use with a D40. The D80 provided AF and 10Mg but was too big, more expensive, and generally in excess of what I needed.Reviews on both the D40 and Canon 400D were excellent, but the Nikon felt better than the Canon in my hands.

I could have spent several thousand pounds on body and lenses (my wife might disagree!), but at my level of experience and commitment, camera size was a major issue, and the D40 provided this, together with a good kit lens, Auto ISO, good image quality and high ISO.

My point is that many experienced people are giving the wrong signal to some potential D40 buyers (IMO). The majority of these purchasers will probably only use the kit lens. By all means, the focusing limitation should be pointed out, but people new to DSLRs will not have investment in lens, and will be delighted with the performance of their DSLR compared to a fixed lens digicam, particularly in more testing conditions. Most do not want or can afford a large, expensive DSLR which is too sophisticated for them, and requires post processing pf pictures to get sharp vibrant images. If they do need another lens, there are some excellent lenses available from Nikon and Sigma for zoom and wide angle.

I am positive that there will be return posts telling me how many lens are imcompatible with the D40, but I know the ones I can use, and can wait for the "gap fillers". If Nikon don't fill them, Sigma, Tamron or Tokina probably will. The big gap for me is a reasonable cost fast lens for indoor work - I have ordered the 50 mm 1.8D and will focus manually. If that is unsatisfactory, I can buy the Sigma 30 mm 1.4.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 4:51 PM   #10
Administrator

It's a good little camera,

My biggest concern is that some people are buying the camera to save money, since it's a low cost option, and may not realize it's lens limitations.

So, they could end up spending *more* money by going with a D40 versus one of the available alternative, if they do need a different lens (or lenses), and also want Autofocus.

Sure, there are lots of choices available with AF-S (and HSM from Sigma), and I have no doubt that Nikon will introduce more AF-S lenses to fill in any gaps.

But, buyers of this model can't take advantage of the many low cost lenses already in the market (both new and used) that don't have a focus motor built in if they want Autofocus. So, yes, I do tend to point this out when someone asks about the camera, since they could end up spending more money for a D40/D40x solution in the long run, depending on their lens needs.

No solution is perfect. I just want to make sure a potential D40 buyer is aware of the limitations. If so, great. It's a nice little camera (and because it has no focus motor, Nikon was able to make it smaller and lighter).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote