Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:51 AM   #1

Hi - The D50 is an excellent camera... it's proved itself over and over again but times change in particular within the field of technology.
Most people will be more than happy with being able to take 560 (jpeg/fine) or 266 NEF (RAW) photos with their 2gb SD card BUT woulden't it be nice to be able to make use of SDHC card in future as well?

May I suggest that we all contact Nikon support with this very question. Subject to demand, Nikon may take our request into consideration and throw in a couple of unexpected firmware options as well.
No harm done in simply asking...

Cheers - Herman
hauer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 29, 2007, 10:20 AM   #2
Administrator

I've seen some reports of newer cards 4GB cards working OK, as long as you don't try to format them in the camera. But, I don't know what your risk of corruption would be using them.

If the hardware is compatible, I'd expect them to come out with a firmware update at some point to support SDHC. But, there could also be a hardware limitation in the camera preventing it. Only time will tell.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 11:36 PM   #3

I agree, only time will tell. But to be honest I don't care. I have 3 2gig cards and about 6 512mb cards. Let me see, it takes all of 15 sec to change a card. I love my D50 and I have better things to do than call or email Nikon over a few seconds.

When I upgrade to a newer camera then I will expect the current memory support.

Doug

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I've seen some reports of newer cards 4GB cards working OK, as long as you don't try to format them in the camera. But, I don't know what your risk of corruption would be using them.

If the hardware is compatible, I'd expect them to come out with a firmware update at some point to support SDHC. But, there could also be a hardware limitation in the camera preventing it. Only time will tell.
dougste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 10:51 AM   #4

I'm fine with my 2GB SD cards. I don't really want my SD card to get corrupted, so I would rather not use a larger capacity card.

I can understand a professional photographer possibly needing higher capcity cards, but for casual phtographer, I don't know if that is worth it.
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 4:01 PM   #5

When I bought my D50 not too long ago, I was briefly concerned about the 2Gb SD card limit, but quickly realized that the cost of the 2Gb cards are dropping, so carrying a couple of cards is no big deal. I also know that except for one time, I have never taken enoufh photos to fill the 2Gb card. I usually shoot RAW + JPEG. Having a larger capacity also means greater chance to loose all your photos. If you are taking that many photos in one session, the 15 seconds to change cards should not be a big deal. If you are using the same card for multiple shoots, then not copying the files off the camera to your computer is just asking for trouble IHMO.
wall33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 12:42 PM   #6

dougste wrote:
Quote:

Seems odd that the D40X has this feature but the D80 does not. ?

(this comparison chart only lists the D40X as having SD-HC support)
http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/...SLRCompare.pdf
toddjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 10:10 PM   #7

toddjb wrote:
Quote:
dougste wrote:
Quote:

Seems odd that the D40X has this feature but the D80 does not. ?

(this comparison chart only lists the D40X as having SD-HC support)
http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/...SLRCompare.pdf

It does seem a little odd, but the D40X is the newest Nikon.

Doug
dougste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 6:07 PM   #8

I'm usng a transcend 4gb sd card in my d50 no problem with it. Just can't be formatted in the camera. Have filled it with RAW files so can address the whole card.
d_oshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 12:16 PM   #9

I am content with 2 gig cards. If they did a firmware update and the only addition was 4 gig support, I probably wouldn't even download it at this point and time.

Stujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:04 PM   #10

Cards go bad, Id rather lose 2gigs of a wedding than 4 gigs of one. Just one way to look at it.
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote