Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 26, 2007, 10:14 AM   #11

Congratulations Cope. Maybe you can help me out and shed a little light on why you chose to switch? I only ask because I am teetering on switching myself.

I've also been a Minoltian since 1983 when I was given an X370 as a gift to replace my aging Ricoh rangefinder. Later on I picked up an X700 and then a Maxxum 7. I missed the boat on the 7D and 5D unfortunately. I considered the A100 offering from Sony but it doesn't quite fit my needs.

Sony is supposedly releasing a new camera in June/July and people have pictures of what are considered mockups of what the final consumer camera's may look like. They are definitely a departure from what Minolta used to offer. Sony has the deep pockets and business savy to make there niche in the DSLR market but I think they will need time to learn how to make DSLR's. I find my patients wavering. Sony has tried to get lenses into production but the core of most lens sales are still from old stock bought and sold over forums or Ebay.

I think the final straw for me is a friend of mine swapped camera's with me a week or two ago. He let me use his D200 and he played with my Maxxum 7. This was my first time handling a D200 and it was a nice experience. So doing some more reading I'm finding that the Nikon D200 and Canon 30D are the camera's I had hoped Sony would release. Only now I'm wondering if I made a mistake by waiting on Sony all this time. Even if they release a Semi-pro camera it could well be priced at around $1800+ especially when you look back and see that the Alpha 100 was first released at $1000. I don't doubt that the price would drop much like the A100 has but thats just more waiting. On top of that is Sony getting more lenses into production.

Cope and Tom what do you think? Did you check out both the D200 and the 30D? One has CCD and the other CMOS but is there an advantage for either that I should know about? Does the CMOS have less noise? I've been digging thru reviews but I haven't seen any direct comparison reviews. Unfortunately most of the reviews I've read have been quoting specifications but that doesn't give us any idea how the camera's are in the real world. Honestly, I'm leaning towards the D200 very much so. I'd just hate to part with my Maxxum 7. I'm just beginning to think I shouldn't be waiting any longer.
Kumakichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 3:11 PM   #12

To answer as close to being truthful, I am not 100% on this anymore... too many personal things get in the way.
I held the 30d, played around, nice feel etc... preferred it over the Nikon just on the menu.. and the 30D is about to be replaced... I hear in September

The 200 may be too much of a learning curve for me.. I just don't know and it is pretty much 90% of what the 80 offers.. same chip ( a SONY chip BTW )
Canon is supposed to have a better chip or less noise. It is a hard thing to choose between the two. I have wanted a Nikon since the early 60's.
I have the newest Nikon catalog, reading it is making me crazy .... what the heck. Heard Sony may do something soon to cause Nikon to switch sensor mfg.. maybe all Kodak? Now that would be good news. I just feel there is something coming... very soon that will make me buy a _______:?:
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 3:25 PM   #13

Kumakichi wrote:
Quote:
Congratulations Cope. Maybe you can help me out and shed a little light on why you chose to switch? I only ask because I am teetering on switching myself.

Cope and Tom what do you think? Did you check out both the D200 and the 30D? One has CCD and the other CMOS but is there an advantage for either that I should know about? Does the CMOS have less noise? I've been digging thru reviews but I haven't seen any direct comparison reviews. Unfortunately most of the reviews I've read have been quoting specifications but that doesn't give us any idea how the camera's are in the real world. Honestly, I'm leaning towards the D200 very much so. I'd just hate to part with my Maxxum 7. I'm just beginning to think I shouldn't be waiting any longer.
I switched because I had a 7D in good shapealong with many lenses that I could move to finance the D200. I was not impressed with what I saw of the Sony mock ups. I really enjoyed my 7D, but I find the AF and flash metering much better on the D200, and eregonomics can be learned.

I held a 30D for about two minutes, and didn't like the feel. I actually bought the D200 without ever holding one, but I kept a friends' evaluationin mind before buying. Canon users sya their's is bestn Nikon users say theirs is best.I can tell you that a local shooter who shoots the Canon 5D said he swapped systems for a couple of weeks with a friend who shoots theD200. He basically said that if the D2000 would take his Canon glass that he would seitch to the D200.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 3:33 PM   #14

The 200 over the FF 5D
Impressive.

I always thought the full frame sensor would be an improvement.
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2007, 7:47 PM   #15

tommccarty wrote:
Quote:
The 200 over the FF 5D
Impressive.

I always thought the full frame sensor would be an improvement.
This is what the 5D owner wrote:

I am a canon shooter and did a swap with one of my close friends. He gave me his D200 and grip with an 18-200mm Nikon VR lens and SB-800 flash and I gave him my 5D with a 24-105L and 580EX for a couple of weeks.

Coming from Canon, I had no problems getting used to the D200. The image review and settings forced me to quickly learn to use the menu driven system which both camera's have. However, since I was used to the canon system, it took me a while to remember where each feature was.

The exposures were good (95% of the time) and the flash metering was just about perfect. The colors are good and the lens itself was quite acceptable. Matrix metering is hard to beat and I hate the fact that canon E-TTL II is not as quick and easy to use. This is where I think Nikon shines. However, E-TTL II does have it's benefits.

I liked the fact that the Nikon had a built in pop up flash. The 5D has to use the Speedlite if you need even fill in flash and this can get a bit bulky - especially if you are using the camera for snapshots. Agreed the flash does not have the same output as the shoe mount flash, but it is there if you need it.

The 1.5x crop FOV sensor was a bit difficult to get used to - especially when shooting wide angle. At 17mm on my 5D, I get a lot of image I want in the picture as you are shooting full frame. At 18mm on the Nikon, it took some time to stop thinking you were shooting at 18mm and it was not as wide as 18mm on FF.

The viewfinder was quite bright - on par with the 5D or 1Ds viewfinder but smaller.

The controls were well laid out and the camera by itself without the grip was a pleasure to use. When I used it with the grip, it felt a bit awkward and not so ergonomic. The 5D with grip was slightly better, but still not the best feel/fit as say a 1-series grip.

I did not have the opportunity to figure out how to shoot the SB-800 remotely but I believe the D200 has that capability. With the canon, I have to use two flash units or the ST-E2 transmitter.

Battery life on the Nikon seemed on par with that of the 5D - with the D200 giving me few more shots than the 5D. The battery level meter on the Nikons is much better than the crappy indicator on the canon. Both camera's had slightly shorter battery life when I used the battery on the grip.

The high ISO noise levels at ISO 1600 were quite usable on prints up to 13x19". In all, after two weeks of using the D200, if canon made a similar SLR, I would definitely buy it over the 5D.

Old Apr 27, 2007, 9:08 AM   #16

Thats really eye-opening considering the 5D is in a class above the D200.

How do you guys feel about the lens availability? Are you finding the lenses you want are pretty easy to buy new or used? I always hear the same comments that people go canon more for the lenses since they have pretty much anything you could want. I was looking over at B&H and it sort of confirmed that canon has the great selection. I noticed quite a few Nikons lenses were only available as imported which I'm not sure I'm comfortable with.

Btw, do you guys use vertical grips on your camera's?
Kumakichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:47 PM   #17

Kumakichi wrote:
Quote:
How do you guys feel about the lens availability? Are you finding the lenses you want are pretty easy to buy new or used? I always hear the same comments that people go canon more for the lenses since they have pretty much anything you could want. I was looking over at B&H and it sort of confirmed that canon has the great selection. I noticed quite a few Nikons lenses were only available as imported which I'm not sure I'm comfortable with.

Btw, do you guys use vertical grips on your camera's?
I find more glass available from Nikon and 3rd party manufacturers than I can afford. There are several other reputable internet dealers to check out. I bought the MB-D200 along with the camera after using a grip on my KM 7D and 3 film bodies. I like the feel, especially with a large heavy lens. Howeevr, there are times when looking pro isn't good, so I can remove the grip as needed.