Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 2, 2007, 6:12 AM   #1

I have used Minolta since 1976, but recently sold my 5D and am shipping my 7D off to it's new owner this morning. I have a D-200, Sigma 70-200 2.8 and Tamron 28-75 coming later this week. I look forward to the Nikon forum, as I have enjoyed the KM forum here. Guess I need to change my avatar.:!:
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2007, 7:24 AM   #2

Welcome Amigo.
Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 8:15 AM   #3

Similar journey to mine: Minolta SRT-101 to Minolta X570 to Nikon Coolpix 5700 to Nikon D70s!
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2007, 1:24 PM   #4

Bob Nichol wrote:
Quote:
Similar journey to mine: Minolta SRT-101 to Minolta X570 to Nikon Coolpix 5700 to Nikon D70s!
Bob, the SRT-101 was my first SLR back in 1976. I don't know how anyone who owned that camera could help but like Minolta. I have sold both my 5D and 7D and am working on the lenses and so on, but I may have to keep my Maxxum9.
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:48 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum. The D200 is a great camera. Be sure to also check out the site www.nikonians.org

Enjoy!

Cheers - Herman

hauer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:30 PM   #6

hauer54 wrote:
Quote:
Welcome to the forum. The D200 is a great camera. Be sure to also check out the site http://www.nikonians.org

Enjoy!

Cheers - Herman

Herman,

Thanks for the welcome and the link.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 2:07 AM   #7

I am a die hard fan of "Nikon" from start.But never joined any nikon forum ,SO this would be my 1st exposure to the "Nikon kind".Personally I wish if we all could share the picture from Nikon camera here,it will be nice.Atleast we all can enhance and learn the other capabilities of the camera like what they are doing in Panasonic at point and shoot section. I know "nikon.org' is there, but to get the facilities you need to pay which is not within reach to some of us like ME..So why dont we all share the picture and learn along the way some new technique and improve the picture qualities
mcliu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 3:22 PM   #8

Question: Serious too. If Minolta is, and I am sure it is or was, a great camera, what did Sony do that changed it? Or is this a digital camera vs film issue?
#2 After many months, waiting and lookiing like a lot of you did, I am down to Nikon or Canon for the SLR camera upgrade.
Is the 200 learning curve too much for someone coming off the Lumix FZ20... I just about have that one figured out -or the 80 a more logical step
Money is not the issue.
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 3:45 PM   #9

Tom,

I have the D80 and really enjoy it - I can't comment on the D200 but it would be a good idea for you to feel both in your hands before choosing (I think the D200 is heavier).

The Fz20 is a nice camera, with good glass and stabilisation and you will miss these if you do not take care when choosing your next camera -so perhaps before deciding which body you want, you might want to consider what sort of lenses you would prefer.

Canon have a new lens - the 70-300 (to replace the 75-300), which is stabilised, it is around £350 and reports indicate that it has very good image quality for it's price.

Nikon have released a 70-300 stabilised (VR) lens, for around the same money or a bit more.I have this lens and it is very good.

Might I suggest you buy the D80 with the 18 - 135 kit lens plus the 70-300 VR. This is a good all round combo if budget is not an issue.

Your transition from Fz20 to D80 would be fine. If you already use the manual settings, then you just need to get to know the quirks of the new camera. TheDSLR will give you a smaller depth of field than your FZ20, so you can isolate subjects from the background more easily. This together with an improvement in image quality will be your first two obvious experiences.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 3:53 PM   #10

I was looking at posts with similar idea. Kit lens makes sense for cost
and general purpose. I would prefer not to toke a bag but even now it seems unavoidable. DOF with the FZ20 - the 2.8 seems already to be a shallow
point. What would I expect with a DSLR Nikon lens? Seems a point worth exploring. I would never get rid of the Lumix however.... last camera I sold to a guy who worked for me was the Sony FD-91 ( 14x Optics, IS ). I loved that .8 mp camera for what it could do in my business. FZ20 is also great.. but those floppy disks were a real treat to my clients.
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote