Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2007, 11:03 AM   #1

Thinking now of getting my first DSLR after returning two cameras as not suitable for issues I wont bore you to much with , And so now I have two cameras in mind the Nikon D40 being one, I have the chance of buying a D40 without its kit lens saving £100 UK on the body and kit lens. Would this be a good idea or not ? as I think I would prefer a longer reach walk around lens , Price isimportant as If i cant get on with a DSLR I will sell it so the lens I would like could not be one of the expensive Nikon VR type at the moment, I do understand the D 40 is limited to just a few lenses but its size and IQ reviews are making me lean to Nikon or maybe Pentax K100 but not the KD10:-? I returned as too big and other issues that mentI could not stick with this model . thank you very much for any owners advice rodo.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2007, 11:35 AM   #2

Why not get the kit lens anyway. The kit lens is a solid if unremarkable lens. You'll also be getting a new, guarenteed camera, as the D40 is not available as a body only purchase (I assume you're looking at a used one for sale). You'll still need a lens with a bit more reach, but this way you'll have most (if not all) shooting ranges covered.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 1:37 AM   #3

Yes thanksI do know that but £ 100 uk ie aprox $180 saving might go towards a longer walk around lens8) and on this sort of cheaper DSLR cameraI only want one lens ( most of the time) and the kit lens is a little short my pal is allways choping and changing his kit lens on his minolta for his longer lens and back again .I think that was Nikons idea a camera that the masses could afford to use without a great bagfull of lens, Any one advise the perfect good IQ walkabout cheap not VRoptic please thank you, rodo uk.
Old Apr 4, 2007, 8:42 AM   #4

Unfortunately, the 18-200 vr is probably your best bet for a one lens solution. The 18-135 is good, but suffers from vignetting (especially wide open), has issues with CA, and can be tough to handhold a full zoom. I got it with my D80, and I use it alot, but I don't know that I would pay nearly $400usd, to buy it on its own. None of the 3rd party superzooms will AF with the D40 and all suffer from worse distortion. In terms of quality, funtionality and price, 2 lenses are your best solution. Lens changes aren't difficult (although one must exercise care) and preparation will help minimize lens changes. What exactly is your budget and what are your shooting habits??
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 2:37 AM   #5

Thankstook your good advice RJSEENEY :GGot the Nikon D40 and kit lens but very very close between the Pentax k100D I must say that is very nice as well ,So D40 it is and kit lens ,Both have good build BtwIcould not hold the Canon D400 XTI for very long it has a very uncomfortable grip on the canon 400D:-? so . thanks for your good advice Rodo Uk.8)