Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 22, 2003, 1:17 AM   #1
Administrator

Default Nikon Pro D2H SLR - Full Info !

Here's all the info on the new Nikon Pro D2H SLR:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#d2h

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2003, 2:47 AM   #2

WOW! The camera looks to be incredible. I didn't see anything on pricing and availability. Any word?
twesterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 6:20 AM   #3
NHL

So Steve are we expecting a D2S in the near future with less speed, but twice the resolution ie 8.2Mpixels, along the Nikon D1H/D1S model?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 8:22 AM   #4

its actually disappointing in that i have gone over to canon mostly. but we shall see what next spring brings. i only have 2 nikon lenses left and my F5 body.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 8:56 AM   #5

Bodies come and go, but this is the thing which drags at my heart:

AF-S VR 200-400mm f/4G IF-ED lens

If it's good optically and has quiet, fast AF, what I wouldn't give for that lens. I could add a coverter to it and still AF... and the price is probably reasonable (compared to the 500mm or 600mm!)

The link to that press release is dead, so I can't read about it. But it has got to be better than the 80-400 they already have.... that thing has the slowest AF around.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 9:20 AM   #6
Administrator

Sorry about the bad links - they all work now! It was 2am last night when I posted all of that D2H info ...

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2003, 2:15 PM   #7

I guess the only thing that bothered me in the design was that the wifi module needed a wire to connect to the USB 2 port. Maybe if Nikon had rerouted a second USB 2 connector at the bottom, people like me wouldn't accidentally knock off the cable from the port :lol: Otherwise I think this camera looks mean (in a good way) But my interest right now is on Capture 4, since I couldn't possibly afford any more hardware (pay loans first, pay loans first... self reminder).
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 2:31 AM   #8

After my initial "first-look" and wows of the camera, I have lessened my enthusiasm:

1. It's not available for some time.

2. I'm not so impressed with the sensor used. Marketing a low resolution sensor implies that the higher resolutions aren't the "strong" selling point for the prosumer SLRs. However, I don't know anyone using/ prefering the lower resolution options in the 6 MegaPixel camera range. (in fact, most try to squeeze out more) Even when a final image could be of much lower resolution, the cropping options fall off significantly without it.

3. It seems to be a $4000 camera designed to get the users to buy $3000 to $4000 in accessories (not including lenses, batteries, cases, etc). I'm referring to the "Wi-Fi", SB-800 flash, etc.

4. It is targeted for a limited group, the high speed photographers. It excels there, but not that substantial to existing Canon cameras. Canon already matches these speeds with there 1D, let alone the 1Ds.

After some time to think, I'm dissapointed. Its not even due to be available until 4th Quarter. I don't think Nikon will get any substantial sales on this one. In further analysis, it appears that Nkon is trying to make a split into two product lines (Digital versus Photo). DX lenses, flashes, accessories, etc. It was only the bodies. I think it's a bad move. The consumers want compatibility and the bodies should have been moving towards a 35 mm sized sensor. From my experience in business, you shouldn't try to force a market on a consumer: another competitor will expose you and it appears the competion is.

*** Note - I'm not a Canon user, I love Nikon lenses and most of Nikon's products, but I hope this release teaches them to get back on target.

twesterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 3:07 AM   #9

I am probably not going to get a D2h for a number of reasons (financial, and don't require that much speed), but I think the future is digital, and Nikon is moving in the right direction. There already are lenses for film bodies that cover the same wide angle range as the DX lenses, so what Nikon is doing is afirming that their future is not full-frame, rather the 23.7x15.6mm sensor size. I also think that megapixels alone do not a good photo make, and for the market the D2h is aimed for, more megapixels are not needed, speed is. The consumer market seems driven by how many megapixels they can cram into ever shrinking sensor chips, but not many strides have been made in improving the quality of those pixels. As for pricing, people in line to get this camera probably have most of the glass, as well as flash and accessories they need. If the WiFi module speeds up image transmission to a lab or to wherever they are intended, it can pay for itself very soon. The whole purpose of this camera is to give Canon a run for their money, an attempt to recapture the PJ/sports market lost to Canon. I'm not a Nikon rep, I just think Nikon is finally releasing a new body and creating competition, which benefits us all in the end
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2003, 8:55 AM   #10
NHL

I agree with marokero, the drive for higher megapixels is slowing... just look @ all the new and impending camera releases. More resolution is better, but do you need it to the detriment of higher storage space? HD are cheap, but I already got too many... :lol:

But remember what about the other shoe to drop (ie the D2s)? As to the PJ/sports market lost to Canon... I just saw another advertisement of white Canon IS lenses dominating the field, smaller and lighter DX lenses are good compromise, but I would rather steal for that WiFi module!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote