Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 5, 2007, 2:54 PM   #1

OK, first off I'm on a budget :-)

I've seen a number of SB-28dx on eBay for less than US$100. Considerably cheaper than buying an SB-600 or SB-800. I've briefly talked to the local camera shop, and they say not to bother with the SB-28dx. I talked to someone with an SB-28dx and a D70, and he said the flash worked fine.

I really don't know how much I will/would use the flash,as such I don't want to spend more than I have to. Most photo's that I would expect to take with the flash would be indoors at a party, or social gathering.

What is the general opinion? Will the SB-28dx be ok?

I don't mind spending a little money now, and then upgrading to a better flash as my skill and usage increases.

All comments appreciated!
wall33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2007, 3:38 AM   #2

I would look for something that does iTTL for DSLRs. The cheapest one is probably the Sigma. Metz do some nice ones (I use a small one for macro photography).

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 6:38 AM   #3

I wouldn't buy a non-iTTL flash for your camera. The SB-28dx will work in the "automatic" mode as will just about any non-iTTL flash. I use an old ringflash for macro work in the auto mode and it works fine. But to use the auto mode you need to set the camera up for the exposure the auto mode is set for. On my flash is has a table on the back with ISO and aperture. It assumes a 1/60 shutter speed. And I start with that exposure and experiment to get it right from that. So you can see it is not as easy or carefree as using the iTTL flash or the built in one. But you will get extra range, bounce flash, and less red eye (other colors for pets and creatures). Faster sync speeds are also available with the FP mode. So I recommend saving your cash until you need one and buy one of the iTTL compatible units. I have an SB-600 and it's about all I use, I think its a good value for most of us on a budget.
ReneB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2007, 10:25 AM   #4

If you're not going for either the SB-600 or SB-800, why not get something even cheaper than the SB-28DX, like an SB-24?

For indoor applications where you're using the camera in manual mode (and you're not changing settings very much) and the flash in auto mode, you'll probably be OK.

However, if you want to use the flash for fill-flash, an I-TTL flash would be much better (I never managed to do fill well when I was using an older flash). Have you considered the SB-400?
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:13 AM   #5

I'd save up a few more dollars and get the SB600.
FusionZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:45 AM   #6

I use a sb600, it does the job fine for me.In future you may want to combine it with some ebay radio triggers and use it off camera.It would be a solid start to a portable studio,

Learn how to light

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

http://mpex.com/Strobist/

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 10:45 AM   #7

Thanks for all the feedback, its greatly appreciated. From what I have read here and elsewere, it seems I would be better off saving up and buying the sb-600. I was looking at the Sigma flashes, and they don't seem to be much cheaper, at least not in my neck of the woods.

Thanks!
wall33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 3:22 AM   #8

I think it is only the Sigma EF500DG ST that is significantly cheaper than the SB600, but it lacks some features of the SB600. The EF500DG Super is similar in price to the SB600 but has similar features. You would need to make sure that you don't need [want] the features that the EF500DG ST lacks before you bought one.

Keith.
keith1200rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 10:33 AM   #9

I'm looking to buy either a SB600 or SB800 in the future but if you don't want to spend as much you may want to look at the SB400.

mansell is offline   Reply With Quote