Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:26 AM   #1

I have a D50 that I'm happy with but was just considering an upgrade to a D80, while I can still sell my D50 for a fair price.

In doing some research I realized that pretty much every dSLR, but Nikon, now has some means of handling the dust. In looking at the comparable offerings from every other manufacturer (Canon EOS 400D, Pentax K10D, and Sony DSLR-A100), they all seem to have some sort of dust handling mechanism. Whether it is an anti static coating or some method of vibrating the sensor to shake off and trap dust particles, its is clearly an issue worth considering. Nothing from Nikon.

I do tend to use my D50 in dusty & windy beach environments so it is a concern for me. Enough so that I postponed a D80 purchase to check other options.

Does anyone know if Nikon has plans for a dust handling system in its next prosumer camera? Or any reasons why they have ignored this to date?

Any rumors or dates from anyone?

Thanks!
-todd

toddjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:40 AM   #2

I know of no plans to incorporate a dust reduction system. In reality, the methods are not an end all solution. All sensors will eventually require cleaning, dust reduction or not. Dust reduction doesn't really remove dust particles from the body. Also, keep in mind, no pro level cameras incorporatate dust reduction into the body. Sure its nice to have, but I wouldn't base a decision to buy or not to buy on dust removal.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 11:49 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, info and your point of view on the topic.

Well, I figure any reduction is better than nothing. If you read some of the reviews on the prosumer cameras out there they also claim to be doing a lot to eliminate things inside the camera that create dust. One of the systems also has a sticky pad below it which traps any dust shaken off.

I'd argue that its more important on the prosumers than on the pro level cameras as photographers like myself have a lot less experience on keeping the dust out. I have gotten dust on the sensor that I was luckily able to easily remove, but I didn't like having to do it. I would have been much more comfortable with a system designed into the camera to do such a thing, non-intrusively. Even an anti-static coating as some manufacturers have would help.

Old Apr 9, 2007, 12:01 AM   #4

"I have gotten dust on the sensor that I was luckily able to easily remove, but I didn't like having to do it."

I had used my Minolta 5D for a short time when I noticed dust on the sensor. I was a bit surprised since I thought I had been pretty careful when changing lenses. Although a couple squirts of air did the trick, I didn't like having to clean the sensor either. It looks scary, even if it isn't. I sold the 5D and bought an A100. The 5D still had good resale value so I wound up selling it for $572 and buying the A10 for $576. It was a no-brainer to me. My thinking is that if Nikon intends to compete, they will have to incorporate a dust reduction system. Of course, I think Canon is going to have to build image stabilization into their camera bodies, also;but it certainly SEEMS that most people disagree. I can only say that after having a DSLR with both features, I will never buy a DSLR without them.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 2:25 AM   #5

something else to think about regarding dust handling mechanisms.

The are mechinical operations. Actually mechanical operations that shake the housing of the sensor. One more thing to break.malfunction or whatever other bad thing you can think of.

Personally I have had my D50 for over 1 year and have only had to blow dust off of it and I change my lenses quite often.

I would prefer to have the control over cleaning the sensor rather than shaking my sensor every time i power the camera on. (This is the method my friends pentax uses.)
Fotogenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2007, 7:49 AM   #6

The Pentax does it with electromagnets. So, there is still mechanical movement, but no motors or gears to break. The magnets just cause the sensor housing to shake when needed. Canon uses a little servo motor or something....probably very similar to the little vibrate guy in your cell phone.

Not saying either is perfect, just that there are varying design approaches to the problem, and we're still waiting to see Nikon's.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 2:32 AM   #7

i read in a magazine that tested all the dust reduction systems available. apparently, besides the one oly/pana has, the rest of the lot is just not effective.

would like to hear use opinions though

personally, i don't really mind not having dust reduction. it only gives nikon a chance to jack up the price
clemong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 2:35 PM   #8

I think it,s as Fotojenik says, just one more thing to break.

Got myself a rocket blower, and will get one of those charged brushes if it wont clear.

:evil:
towershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2007, 4:58 AM   #9

I read this review and although I was hoping Nikon would incorporate sensor cleaning in a future model I'm less convinced it's worthwhile now.

http://pixinfo.com/en/articles/ccd-dust-removal/

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote