Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 18, 2007, 3:53 AM   #1

Any D40/ D 80 users/ experts can you please advise me before purchase confirmation please or not if the D40 (and D80) have exposure problems too many shots coming out usually over exposedeven if adjustedto negative 1/3 or 1/7 ect and problems with the metering and no way to get reliable results, seems odd but on the netsome posters seem to agree with this exposure variation:shock:, This I have read and as the D40 has no brkt mode might make it a deal breaker for me allthough I just like the feel / size of the D40 so very much ,I read for example the Sony Alpha allways gives good correct exposue compared to these two Nikon models is a firmware upgrade possible do you think IF there is truly a problem with no work around thank you for any pre purchase advice , I nearly bought a Pentax K100D / K10D .but that had different issues and the Nikon D 40 is now my camera of choice if the exposure is going to be not a problem or able to be adjusted for reliable results all the time .Rodo uk.
rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2007, 5:15 AM   #2

No camera exposes correctly 100% of the time. Most of the issues with the D80 are a result of it using a slightly different metering algorithm from previous Nikon cameras. Before the D80, Nikon bodies tended to underexpose to preserve highlights. With the D80, this changed slightly. If you search old forums, many people complained just as vehemently about exposure problems with the D70 and D50. The key is practicing and using the camera to understand how it will react in certain situations. You will always hear more complaints than praise, as those who are unhappy are more willing to talk about their problems.

I'm not sure if the D40 exposes along the same lines as the D80, but I would expect it to.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 7:28 AM   #3

My D40 is set for -0.7ev and exposes correctly for matrix mode. I have not done enough spot exposure to say.

Although there is no bracketing mode on the D40 it is simple to bracket, just not automatic. I really have enjoyed the D40 for its lightness (no heavy internal focusing motor and lighter lenses as a result.) I have carried enough Nikon bodies and lenses around to desire this approach now instead of the heavier one.

Did some three exposure HDR shots on a tripod the other day and bracketing using the ev controls was simple and direct and there is also the manual exposure method that could be used, too, after metering the "normal" exposure.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 7:39 AM   #4

Thanks with that then are the D50 / 70 better thento get proper / better exposure results for the newbie who after all the D40 is aimed at would one of those make life simpler still a few available here . Exuse the question are there other Dslr models from other manufactors ( sorry:shock: opps )that have better exposure programed as in to better suit the not so cleveroperator like myself who would like nice jepegs from his entry level DSLR camera without hassle yesI read the D40 is king for jepegs thats one good reason I would like one plus the build size name ,,Understanding of course Nikon is nice very nice to own and handle I believe .rodo uk.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:12 AM   #5

You'll probably have to dial in proper exposure metering on any camera you buy. It's hard to say which is best, but it's not uncommon for exposure metering to need a little tweaking and even then under extreme conditions it may need to be different. Don't get hung up on exposure quirks--there are none which are not solvable. Get the camera that feels best to you and enjoy the heck out of it.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 9:25 AM   #6

Ok thanks good sound advice my present Panasonic fz 20 allways gives great spot on ( everytime usually ) exposure butI do use auto brkt x3I do wish the D40 had auto brkt as its the nicest DSLR camera to hold/ operate imo, So it seems the D40 has not been messed up then if compared to D50 /70 and other makes just a little over exposure , so its safe to go D40 then it seems ,thanks for all points of view I think it can be sometimes to easy to read negative opinions on the forums I suppose all cameras have learning how to adjust none really bad or notbad enough to pass by thanks again Ill go with the one that feels right that is now the D40 and try a little negative exposure say permenent -7right from the start so its exposure is corrected back a little to dark it seems:idea:I do that 90 %anyway with my Fuji F cameras in the sun and it works fine , many thanks to all .rodo uk.