Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 21, 2007, 2:15 AM   #1

My real username is "fewpics" but wont accept password...

You know what it's like.. Just bought a new lens, can't wait to try it, forgot to turn off camera when I changed it over... Oh #@&%..!!!!

Immediately after picking up the camera I went to turn it on and whoa, it's already on. Cold shivers run down the spine as I have heard some not so good things said about leaving the camera on while swapping lenses... It seems to go OK... I changed it in my room which is to say the least,, as dark as a cave at the best of times..Can anyone explain what could have happened...???
Nick-On is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2007, 8:16 AM   #2

Get out of there NOW. The camera will self destruct any moment:G. The truth is, you probably did no damage to your camera. Typically, the worst that could happen is the camera could get a little confused momentarily, which is usually fixed by reseting the camera. I wouldn't make a regular habit of doing so, and would be doubly careful if using VR lenses.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:11 PM   #3

I have done this more than once without a problem.

I did read somewhere that the elecric charge that goes across the face of the sensor attracts dust and that for this reason, the power should be off when the lens is removed - don't know if the static is really powerful enough to attract additional dust into the camera.
norm smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 2:10 PM   #4

It won't be a problem. I often do this by mistake (D2X, D200 & D50) and haven't had a problem.
wingnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2007, 2:11 PM   #5

BTW, you might just have a cookie problem. Just clear the cookie cache and restart IE and you will be able to login fine.
wingnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2007, 5:36 AM   #6

Cheers - Thanks for the assurance. Brother (who has D200 and D70) also says he has done this more times than he cares to remember, without any tragedy....

Oh... Kind of sort out my other login name (fewpics) and it wasn't a cookie problem as I wash system out EVERY time I exit the intenet... For some reason, my bookmark to this site, until now and since I joined up, was...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/

I logged in up until the other day with no troubles then out of the blue, no such name/password... So I make up this current name and registered again, after all the "forgotten password" procedures failed.. I come to log in just 30 minutes ago and name/password failed AGAIN. I was thinking of re-registering under yet another name and then asking the owner(s) of this site "what the heck gives", but I kind of figured it may be something else doing it -But What...???

I went to google and typed in "steves forums" and got this URL...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/

Now I can log in with 'Nick-On' and 'fewpics' (after I reset the password),,, so why the other address all of a sudden failed to accept me and this one does,, I haven't got a clue....!!!!

Oh well, I'd best save this one - now that it works... Gulp..!!!
Nick-On is offline   Reply With Quote