Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Apr 30, 2007, 5:37 AM   #1

I managed to find a D40 RAW file... opening it in Irfanview, I must say it doesn't appear to look any different to the many JPG files i've seen. I thought it would contain much more fine detail.. but that doesn't appear to be the case. Is this the experience with other users that have tried using RAW files on the D40?
beethovenspiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2007, 8:02 AM   #2

If you are using Irfanview you might want to download this shareware. Be sure to select the Nikon Raw format in the dropdown box when asked to do so. I think you will find this an amazing program.

http://helicon.com.ua/pages/downloads.html
BEECEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:06 PM   #3

I wouldn't expect the RAW file to contain any more detail than a fine large JPG. What RAW does provide is the ability to change the exposure and white balance in post processing. It also contains the full 12 bits per pixel using software such as photoshop allows you to make use of this extra data when post processing before finally saving it as an 8 bit JPG.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 11:54 AM   #4

I started off with the fine JPEG setting and was very pleased with the pictures except for some exposure issues. I have changed the setting to RAW + JPEG (which are the basic higher compression formats), and find that normally these JPEGS do not need more processing. If I compare the RAW to JPEG images (using Raw shooter esentials), I cannot improve on the good JPEG images. As I understand it, it is better to use RAW images for pp than doing pp on JPEGS. If you do not need to pp and image, just use the JPEG.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 2:38 PM   #5
Administrator

1eyedeer wrote:
Quote:
... except for some exposure issues.
The "except" is what can bite you if the photos are important. You'll have more latitude for adjusting things like exposure later shooting in raw with a good raw converter, if you get it wrong the first time. Ditto for parameters like White Balance (try shooting with it set to Incadesescent outside and try to correct the blue cast). It's not always possible to get exposure or white balance just right without more preparation.

If your settings are always perfect, JPEG can give you great results. But, if your settings are not perfect, you'll have more latitude shooting raw.

Not all raw converters are created equal either. Some are a bit better than others for things like highlight recovery and more if your exposure isn't just right. Ditto for detail captured. Your Nikon has pretty good image processing built into the camera. But, you may find that in some conditions, raw can buy you more when the settings you used are not optimum.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 3:00 PM   #6

Thats why I shoot both RAW and JPEG just to be safe. The D40 JPEG conversion for me is good enough, even with basic JPEG format, but I can always use the RAW version for "iffy" pictures. I'm sure that there are more comprehensive convertors than RawShooters Essentials, but at the moment I need to take more pictures rather than experiement on the PC (I spend too much time already on these forums!)
Old May 23, 2007, 3:10 PM   #7
Administrator

I'm surprised it works with a D40 at all (Raw Shooter Essentials). I didn't think the D40 was out when RSE was discontinued.

Did you hack it (for example, edit the .exe using a hex editor and change it to look for the D40 in metadata instead one of the existing models like a D70). Or, did it work OK without that approach?

Old May 23, 2007, 5:13 PM   #8

Changed it to look like D70 with D40hack - you have to re-adjust white balance so its not ideal, but its very easy to use. At present, I don't want to buy Capture NX but may run the trial version sometime. At the moment, I'm spending enough money on lenses. These cheap DSLRs aren't cheap at all!
Old May 23, 2007, 5:40 PM   #9
Administrator

You're doing it the hard way. I wasn't aware of the "d40hack" you mentioned until I googled for it after seeing your post.

That hack appears to be modifying your .nef files (replacing d40 with d70 in the metadata).

It's easier just to use a hex editor on the program that reads them. I did this once with Raw Shooter Essentials 2005 when the KM Maxxum 5D was introduced. I just used a hex editor to search through the .exe and changed any occurance of 7D to 5D (it was in plain text and readable), since it already supported the 7D. That way, Raw Shooter Essentials recognized the 5D the same way it recognized the 7D and would process my raw files (no need to modify my actual raw files). Just modify the program once and be done with it. ;-) You could probably just search for a model that is supported (like the D70) and replace any occurance with D40 in the main .exe file.

Old May 24, 2007, 5:44 AM   #10

JimC-

For $14.99 you can get Tone Up S3, which really works well (it uses all of the Nikon color curves) and I believe it is also set up for the D-40. You cannot loose, they have a free 30 day trial version and sell the program for $14.99 with 100% satisfaction guaranteed. It is a hard deal to beat.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote