Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 8, 2007, 4:47 AM   #1

hey there guys.

i have a D80 with a Sandisk 2gb Ultra II card.

up until last week i was shooting JPG FINE LARGE but now shooting RAW.

with the card empty in jgp fine the camera show i can take 264 pics yet i took 392 pics on the card and it still showed i could take another 64....

ive checked all the settings and tried shooting and filling a 1gb card and same story...what the camera showed i could take ont he card was waaaay less than the number i actually took....

any ideas with regards this?
snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2007, 6:19 AM   #2

JPG are compressed files. The amount of compression possible depends on the picture. For example a large are of plain blue sky will compress more than a complicated pattern of trees. RAW is also compressed on the D80 so there is some variation there as well.

The number of pictures possible on a card is an estimate based on an average level of compression. More compression more pictures. I'm also sure Nikon are conservative in their estimate as you'd far rather find the card will fit more than you expected than run short of space just as a brilliant subject turns up.

Ken

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 6:52 AM   #3

thanks for the reply.

yeah the day when i was shooting was a lot of blue sky as i was taking pix at a Moto X show....

snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote