Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 14, 2007, 6:39 PM   #1

I was thinking about upgrading to the D80 for the megapixels, and have been reading about the D90. My D50 work fine. I have the basic lens, telephoto, and wide angle. I have 6 megapixel obviously. I have read about some minor problems with the D80 and "matrix metering, and blowing highlights", also meter needs constant adjustment. I read this on a different discussion forum. Is there any merit to this? My camera shop dealer would only trade me $250 for my D50 body, that I bought from him 1 yr. ago at the regular price, and of course the d80 body is about 1,000$. Should I just stay where I am? I really don't blow picures up to poster size, haven't done it yet. Any answers would be helpful!

Thanks
mcdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2007, 8:48 PM   #2

I wouldn't do it solely for the extra megapixels. I've printed 16x20 with the D50. Sure you can print a bit larger, but extra mega pixels also means more resolving power, which tends to highlight optical problems with consumer grade lenses. If you're not going to use pro or semi pro glass, the extra megapixels will hurt you more than it helps you.

Now if you need extra control, better ISO selection, ability to fire off camera SB600 or SB800's, then it makes sense to move up to the D80.

Also, no way would I trade the D50 for $250.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 9:13 PM   #3

Hello Mcdaniel,
I upgraded from the D50 to the D80 recently, but as mentioned it had nothing to do with megapixels. I print at 8 x 10 mostly so there is no noticeable difference between the two there. The biggest reasons for upgrading for me were that many of the functions I used frequently, are on the body of the D80 as opposed to menu based on the D50. I find the metering and the autofocus just a hair better on the D80, as well as a tad quicker...no huge difference on any of these fronts though. I have had no issues whatsoever with metering with the D80...I shoot mainly in Matrix and have not experienced the overexposure issues that many seem to complain about. I sold my D50 on Ebay about 3 months ago (body only) and got $399.00 USD, so $250.00 is a little low as the D50 is still very much in demand and hard to get at retail.
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2007, 9:14 PM   #4

Thanks so much for the info! I always think the more megapixels the better. The D50 actually takes great pictures. I will have to blow one up to see how it does. You just saved me alot of money. I agree that $250 would not be enough for the camera body. Thanks again.
mcdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 9:31 PM   #5

I have a D50 and a D80

They are a lot alike, probably more alike than any other 2 Nikon DSLR's now.

I like them both, but I especially like the features of the D80 alot better than the D50.

I like the function button the DOF button and the ease of control in the D80 over the D50.

I also use the top display light alot which you dont have in the D50

If you have a D50 and you want a D80 and have the money then go get it, but if you dont have the 18-200 Vr lens then put your money in that and a SB800 flash instead and you will be better off than having 2 bodies that are so much alike.

I have the 18-200VR on my D80 and love it

If you have not tried this lens then get it and you may hate it at first like I did, but after you play with it a while you will love it.

What lens do you have with your D50 now and do you have the SB800? If you are going to buy a flash don't settle for anything less than the SB800 if you are planning on keeping the D50 especially. It is an awesome flash as well as the VR lens an awesome lens

You have a very very good camera, but i would get the VR lens and SB800 flash before I would buy the D80. Then if you have the money and still want the D80 then go for it, I did and i love all my Nikon toys
  1. Nikon D50 18-55mm & 55-200mm[/*]
  2. Nikon D80 18-135 Kit lens[/*]
  3. Nikon 18-200 VR[/*]
  4. Nikon SB800
[/*]
TexasHillbilly
TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 9:31 PM   #6

I have a D50 and a D80

They are a lot alike, probably more alike than any other 2 Nikon DSLR's now.

I like them both, but I especially like the features of the D80 alot better than the D50.

I like the function button the DOF button and the ease of control in the D80 over the D50.

I also use the top display light alot which you dont have in the D50

If you have a D50 and you want a D80 and have the money then go get it, but if you dont have the 18-200 Vr lens then put your money in that and a SB800 flash instead and you will be better off than having 2 bodies that are so much alike.

I have the 18-200VR on my D80 and love it

If you have not tried this lens then get it and you may hate it at first like I did, but after you play with it a while you will love it.

What lens do you have with your D50 now and do you have the SB800? If you are going to buy a flash don't settle for anything less than the SB800 if you are planning on keeping the D50 especially. It is an awesome flash as well as the VR lens an awesome lens

You have a very very good camera, but i would get the VR lens and SB800 flash before I would buy the D80. Then if you have the money and still want the D80 then go for it, I did and i love all my Nikon toys
  1. Nikon D50 18-55mm & 55-200mm[/*]
  2. Nikon D80 18-135 Kit lens[/*]
  3. Nikon 18-200 VR[/*]
  4. Nikon SB800
[/*]
TexasHillbilly
TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote