Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 16, 2007, 1:10 PM   #1

Hi,

New member here. I have a D50and looking to get a Sigma 70-300mm APO and Nikkor 50mm F1.8, as well as an SB-600 or 800.

Only a quick one, does the Nikkor's VR work with the above models?

Thanks.

Shakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2007, 1:40 PM   #2
Administrator

No.

VR (Vibration Reduction) is a feature built into select Nikkor lens models (you'll see the VR designation in the product names for lenses equipped with this feature).

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 3:04 PM   #3

JimC wrote:
Quote:
No.

VR (Vibration Reduction) is a feature built into select Nikkor lens models (you'll see the VR designation in the product names for lenses equipped with this feature).

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5
Sorry, I confused you with my post.

I meant do VR lenses work with the D50 or D40?
Old May 16, 2007, 3:09 PM   #4

Yes on the D50, but with limits on the D40.

VR lenses will work on the D50 and D40, but some will not autofocus on a D40.

The VR function is built into the lense, and not the camera.

Hope this helps.

_Jt
Jacques_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2007, 3:33 PM   #5

Jacques_T wrote:
Quote:
Yes on the D50, but with limits on the D40.

VR lenses will work on the D50 and D40, but some will not autofocus on a D40.

The VR function is built into the lense, and not the camera.

Hope this helps.

_Jt
Thanks.

Any other limitations between the D40 and VR?
Old May 16, 2007, 7:02 PM   #6
Administrator

Shakie wrote:
Quote:
Any other limitations between the D40 and VR?
You've got me thoroughly confused (since you mentioned having a D50 and wanting to get a 50mm f/1.8 and Sigma 70-300mm APO and wondering if VR would work. They are not VR lenses. :-)

The limitation with a D40 has nothing to do with VR (Vibration Reduction).

The D40 will not Autofocus with any lens (VR or not) that does not have a focus motor built into the lens (because the D40 and D40x do not have a focus motor built in to their camera bodies like other Nikon DSLR models). That's one reason Nikon was able to make these two cameras smaller and lighter.

Nikkor lenses with focus motors built in will have AF-I or AF-S designations. Those will Autofocus on a D40. Sigma also has some lenses with Focus Motors built in that will Autofocus on a D40. These will have HSM (Hypersonic Motor) in their descriptions.

The two lenses you mentioned (Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 70-300mm) do not have VR (Vibration Reduction). They also do not have focus motors built in. So, they would Autofocus on a D50 (but, not on a D40). You could still use them on a D40. But, you'd need to use Manual Focus. They would not give you Vibration Reduction (VR) on either camera model (you need a VR lens to get that).

Note that most current VR lenses are AF-S (Silent Wave Focusing) type lenses and would Autofocus on a D40. There are some exceptions. But, the only current Nikkor lens model with VR that does not have a focus motor built in that I'm aware of is the Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED AF VR.

So, if you're interested in a D40, you'd be able to get Autofocus with most VR lenses from Nikon. But, the two lenses you mentioned in your first post do not have VR. They also do not have a focus motor built in (they are not AF-S lenses). So, you'd lose Autofocus with those lenses on a D40.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 2:05 AM   #7

Right you are Jim C. I have the 18-200mm VRII lens and it works great with the D40.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 5:53 AM   #8

That is a great explanation, JimC-

I use the Nikkor 18-200mmVR lens with both my D-40 and D-40X and it does a great job. The Nikkor 55-200mmVR is not quite as capable as the Nikkor 18-200mmVR lens, but it costs around $230 instead of almost $800 and it is MUCH smaller in physical size.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote