Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 18, 2007, 5:31 AM   #1

c
I have recently purchased my first digital SLR. After much consideration I decided on the Nikon D80. So far I am very pleased with the results. But I have a question for all you Nikon users.

When I have the camera set in programmed mode the camera will automatically select the correct shutter speed and aperture. I fully understand this aspect. However if I wish to change the settings i.e. a faster shutter speed I turn the main command dial and the camera will compensate the aperture accordingly. I would assume if I turn the command dial one step the shutter speed would go either up or down one increment and the aperture would do the same thus achieving satisfactory exposure. However what I find is that I need to turn the command dial through up to six clicks before the figures for shutter speed and aperture start to change. I would have assumed one click would achieve a variation in speed or aperture.

Do other D80 owners notice this or may the camera be at fault ? Or am I missing some fundamental point on programmed exposure? The images appear correctly exposed and in general I am more than happy with the results.

The Tadge

The Tadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2007, 6:36 AM   #2
Administrator

Experiment with it. You're probably doing something like turning the dial the in wrong direction when the camera is "out of aperture".

For example, if you're shooting in low light, the camera may select a wider aperture (represented by a smaller f/stop number) to let in more light initially. If it's already at the widest aperture supported by the lens, it can't go any wider. But, if you turn it the other direction, it would select a smaller aperture (higher/f/stop number) that would be supported by the lens.

Tap the shutter (quick half press) once before you start and make sure the meter is on, too (some models won't turn on the meter until you do that). Some models rquire a slower, more deliberate click of the dial, too (spinning it may not change exposure for every click).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 9:46 AM   #3

Is the camera set on auto ISO? It may be increasing the ISO instead of changing the aperture.
WCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 10:00 AM   #4

To the best of my knowledge the ISO is not set at Auto. The main command dial does effect the speed and aperture, but you have to turn a number of time before any change is shown in the viewfinder. I would have assumed one click would have made one adjustment ?

Thanks for the replies so far by the way.

The Tadge

Old May 21, 2007, 2:41 AM   #5

Thank you both for the replies.

I think Jim got it just about spot on. I was winding the dial way past where it could make any difference. I triedsome experimental shots over the weekend and the dial only adjusts if you click it the correct way.

Once again thanks for the replies.

The Tadge