Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 16, 2007, 7:12 AM   #11

I have the 60mm f/2.8D and the VR 105mm f/2.8G. Both of them are very good. If you can afford get the VR105. Great for insects and flowers. See my pictures taken with the lenses here: www.flickr.com/photos/ruchai/
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2007, 12:58 PM   #12

Was too inspired by your 105mm VR and bought it. The lens is definately sharp and good. Down points is that is heavy and big for just one focal length (what do you expect?) I find it hard to use the lens for a walk around and shoot as the length is a bit long, I suspect for potraits is ok but something shorter might be better.

Had a hard time chasing insects, and so a lot to learn. Great lens, I would use it for Macro and Potraits. I have tried the Tamron and I was also impress on the sharpness. People on a budget should go for this. I was really shock with the reasults on the Tamron. Only reason I did not buy it is because is not IF, not compatible with D40 for AF, Lens is a bit plastic but trust me is a good lens for the price.
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:46 PM   #13

The 105VR is an f/2.8 pro lens. I think 790 gms. is not too heavy for such lens.

Do not chase insects, Looking for them and aproach carefully, wear camo and do not scare them with your shadow.

I walk around our rain forest garden every day with this lens. I tried the 18-200 but found out the pictures are not camparable to those taken with the 105VR.

Old Aug 18, 2007, 6:31 AM   #14
NHL

I agree with the above post: There's no such thing as a bad macro lens... i.e. pick whatever one can afford!

Two of the sharpest one right now are from Sigma, their 70mm and the 150mm if anyone need the stand-off distance (so as not to scare them into dashing away):
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...787376#p787376

"In the Nikon lineup, we recently tested the Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF, which proved to be an excellent lens, albeit not quite as prickly sharp as the Sigma 150, and with slightly higher CA and distortion numbers. The Nikon lens sells online for $100-200 more than the Sigma.

Nikon also makes a 200mm f/4 ED-IF AF that we haven't tested yet. Readers report that this lens is very sharp, but also heavy and somewhat slow to focus. It sells for more than twice the price of the Sigma 180 f/2.8
"

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 2:19 AM   #15

I did amazingly found people who had very good closeups of bees with the 18-200mmVR kind of surprise that it was a near Macro standard. I had 70-300mm VR and no way it came up as close as my 105mm VR.

Ruchai, do you use a monopod or tripod for some of your shots or you actually hand held the 105mm VR all the way for your close up of insects?

ruchai wrote:
Quote:
The 105VR is an f/2.8 pro lens. I think 790 gms. is not too heavy for such lens.

Do not chase insects, Looking for them and aproach carefully, wear camo and do not scare them with your shadow.

I walk around our rain forest garden every day with this lens. I tried the 18-200 but found out the pictures are not camparable to those taken with the 105VR.

nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 6:31 PM   #16

Don't forget the original 105 micro. Although it won't be a af-s lens (not a factor with the D50) and doesn't have VR, these features aren't as important if your main interest is macro. True macro work requires manual focus, and the benefits of Vr are reduced the closer one gets to the subject. Plus the lens is 1/2 the price of the new VR model and it's still optically superb (some even say better than the new one).
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:06 PM   #17

I use monopod, tripod, and hand holding depending on situation. Monopod help me keep spot focus from swaying from the object. With lowlight and without flash I use tripod.

I also use 18-200 ascloseup lens but the pictures quality is not comparable with those from 105VR.

nexusworks wrote:
Quote:
I did amazingly found people who had very good closeups of bees with the 18-200mmVR kind of surprise that it was a near Macro standard. I had 70-300mm VR and no way it came up as close as my 105mm VR.

Ruchai, do you use a monopod or tripod for some of your shots or you actually hand held the 105mm VR all the way for your close up of insects?

ruchai wrote:
Quote: