Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 19, 2007, 12:15 PM   #1

I have a Nikon D50 with a 18-200 and 80-400 lens. The problem is that I can't get the quality of pictures that I got with my Olympus C2100. I like taking close uppictures of flowers. What macro lens would be good to buy? Thanks for any help.
cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2007, 7:07 PM   #2

Take a look at the Tamron 90mm 2.8. It is a true macro lens and also has a good length for portrait shots. 1.5 crop factor x 90mm = 135mm in 35mm terms. It is on my list but I use the Tamron 70-300mm LD 1:2 macro which is really a close up lens. You may also look at looking at some add-on type lens like the Raynox add-on.

Edit: perhaps not with the lenses you currently have as far as the Raynoxadd on.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 10:24 AM   #3

Thanks vIZnquest for the information. That gives me a good start. On my old 35mm camera, I had a button on the lens to switch it over to macro. All the specs on the different lens just confused me. Now I can start shopping!
Old May 25, 2007, 8:44 PM   #4

How much is your budget? By all accounts the new Nikon 105 VR F2.8 is an excellent macro lens, but it does run about $750. The Tokina 100mm f/2.8 is another that gets rave reviews, it's $399 at B&H, I belive the same price as the Tamron 90mm F2.8.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 8:29 AM   #5

There are no bad macros, only different choices of brands and focal length. I was going to get the tamron 90mm or nikon 105mm, butI kept seeing rave reports from owners of the Nikon 60mm, so i went with it. If you are using Macro for easily spooked insects, you may need the 90/100 or 150mm lenses.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 10:44 AM   #6

Thanks for your input. I have both the Tokina and Tamron lens now and very happy with them. The different ranges got me thinking too. This give me something to compare at the camera store.
Old May 27, 2007, 11:37 AM   #7

cams wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your input. I have both the Tokina and Tamron lens now and very happy with them. The different ranges got me thinking too. This give me something to compare at the camera store.
I just saw some shots taken wiith a Vivitar Macro that the shooter picked up for around $50. The shots were great, and it seems there are several happy owners of that lens.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 3:01 PM   #8

Thanks again, cope. I'll look into that lens. Cheaper is better!
Old Jun 19, 2007, 5:25 AM   #9
v12

I saved my pennies a bit longer and went for the 105mmvr and dont regret it, it has the extra reach for subjects that spook easy so its a no brainer. It was a bit pricey but its one that I wont be replacing anytime soon

good luck
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2007, 5:37 PM   #10

cope wrote:
Quote:
butI kept seeing rave reports from owners of the Nikon 60mm, so i went with it. If you are using Macro for easily spooked insects, you may need the 90/100 or 150mm lenses.
I can go along with this. I too was a little confused with the word "macro" which seems to be slung around with every second lens made. I am no aficionado with lenses or their uses, but I sometimes fail to see why a zoom type lens can have the word "macro" in its description. I tried a few of these in my quest to get a few real closeups and by comparison, a dedicated macro lens will most likely leave the zoomies for dead. They may have macro ability but I have yet to see one that can do a good job of it, mind you, I haven't tried every lens so I stand to be corrected.

I bought a Nikon 60mm micro (macro) a fewmonths back and there has been no looking back, and YES, what you said about spooked insects etc is true. To get a real closeup with the 60mm macro you really have to stick the lens right in there and the only two problems I have encountered are 1). gettting too close to the subject and have it run or fly away, and 2). interfering with your own light source by casting a shadow if you don't get the angle right,, but other than these two, it does take magnificant shots. I might soon buy a 105mm macro, just to give me a bit of distance to work with. A 150mm macrowould be nice too but the 105mm job would be my next target...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote