Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 22, 2007, 9:36 AM   #1

Was just in the middle of a shoot and my D200 locked up.Its done this a few times always at a crucial moment,did it last week when I was shooting a wedding.It mainly happens when I review the image after I've taken a shot,(to check focus ,exposure ).It's not the buffer as I was in single shot mode under studio conditions.It locks up for about 30 secs or so, nothin on LCD ,I have to turn it off for a few seconds for it to go back to normal.I use sandisk extreme III 4gig card,(although this has happened with all my sandisk cards, 1gig, and 2 gig extreme cards)

May need to be returned to nikon?? as It does this nearly everytime I use my camera

Thanks

TD
tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2007, 2:53 PM   #2

Wow TD, I don't know what it coul be. Let us know the results from Nikon when you get the camera back.

Ronnie,
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 5:07 PM   #3

Doing the reset as instructed in the manual, online and what a tech rep would tell you is the first place to start. Reset all the settings in your camera banks. Use a fully charged battery and different one if you can. Use a different flash card if you can. Make sure if your lens has aperture ring to put it in the highest number setting. These are all the things that I found online that one needs to try and troubleshoot before sending it in.

It sounds like a persistent problem and intermittent which is not a good thing. Hopefully it can be corrected in an expedient manner.
[b][b]

[align=center]United Kingdom[/align]

[align=center][color=yellow][b]Nikon UK Ltd. Tel +44 20 8541 4440, Fax: +44 20 8541 4590
Web site: http://www.nikon.co.uk
[/align]
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 6:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies, I"ll reset the camera and start from fresh.I use the mb-d200 grip all the time with genuine nikon batteries.I have 3 sandisk cards 4 gig extreme III, 2 gig extreme II and a normal 1gig.
I read somewhere that dirty contacts on body and lenses can make the camera go haywire,I'll clean these and try to reproduce the conditions that make the fault occur.
I left a support note on Nikon UK tech site,I'll wait to see what they say.I bought the grip with the body and used it from day 1 but i'll test without the grip.
I'll post the results tomorrow

Thanks again, fingers crossed,I'm all set for a day of testing.

TD
Old May 22, 2007, 7:30 PM   #5

Hello,

I have had this issue with the D200 when I have my SIgma 120-300 2.8 lens on the camera. I dont know what it is, but what happens is the battery signal blinks and it shuts down. I usually have to turn the camera off, and can turn it right back on, and it solves the problem. It also happens when I have a the Sigma and the 1.4 teleconverter on. When it first happened, it made me :evil:, but I am not sure if it was the camera or the lens. I didn't have the issue with another lens, but it could happen. I too shoot with the mb-d200 grip most of the time, and it has happened with fresh batteries in the camera.

Right now I am experiencing images that are not extremely sharp with any of my lenses on the D200. I have sent images to Nikon, and they sent me an email with some possible solutions, so I will have to test them out. I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this issue

Jeff
Jeffonyourleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 9:55 AM   #6

A 2 button reset seems to have sorted out the problem.I also cleaned the contacts on the body and reset all shooting menu's.This was nikon supports advice.
I don't know if its just me but my camera feels more responsive since the reset,,,happy days!

Thanks

TD
Old May 24, 2007, 11:37 PM   #7

Great to hear. I wasn't so lucky. Mine is in New York most likely getting the shutter replaced. Hope it gets back before the wedding I have to shoot and that it also doesn't go wonky on me again in the middle of it.

I will post an update on Nikon Service here in the U.S.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 3:45 PM   #8
PLF

Jeffonyourleft wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

I have had this issue with the D200 when I have my SIgma 120-300 2.8 lens on the camera. I dont know what it is, but what happens is the battery signal blinks and it shuts down. I usually have to turn the camera off, and can turn it right back on, and it solves the problem. It also happens when I have a the Sigma and the 1.4 teleconverter on. When it first happened, it made me :evil:, but I am not sure if it was the camera or the lens. I didn't have the issue with another lens, but it could happen. I too shoot with the mb-d200 grip most of the time, and it has happened with fresh batteries in the camera.

Right now I am experiencing images that are not extremely sharp with any of my lenses on the D200. I have sent images to Nikon, and they sent me an email with some possible solutions, so I will have to test them out. I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this issue

Jeff
I have the EXACT same issue with my D200. But I was using the 18-200 VR lens w/o an mb-d200 grip. The only relief from it is to turn the camera off for a few seconds.

The camera is not yet 2 months old -- it happened first when I was outdoors and then again a few weeks later. It's happened indoors when I have an SB-400 flash attached, and today I popped up the built-in flash and there it was. I swapped batteries once and it still appeared. But then the camera works fine for hours or days. It makes me think that whatever the cause, the lens or flash configuration doesn't matter. I haven't had any image sharpness issues.

I'd love to know if it's simply a battery contact issue or if there's something more to it. I haven't gone to the trouble to reset the camera but I'm thinking that's the next step.

P
PLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 4:18 PM   #9

I would consider a 2 button reset,I did a stop frame animation shoot yesterday 800+ pics with no problems whatsoever.

I use a custom settings spreadsheet to set up my camera (D200),

the download link is at the bottom of the 1st post,

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCF...202/17033.html

TD
Old May 26, 2007, 5:01 PM   #10
PLF

Tommysdad:

Wow - that spreadsheet is fantastic! Thanks a bunch.

I do a two button reset each time I clear pictures from my card, a habit made much easier because the buttons are right there and it finishes so quickly. But the card is another variable and so I think I'll swap it out -- haven't done that in a while.

Although this certainly isn't a feature I'm not yet quite sure it's a bug. I was surprised -- heh, more like elated -- to find someone else was experiencing the same thing. It often seems these odd results aren't being duplicated by anyone else.

Thanks again!

P
PLF is offline   Reply With Quote