Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 22, 2007, 8:40 PM   #1

Hello,

I have noticed that when I download images, while I am viewing them, they are not as sharp as my D50. It seems like the image is soft. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I have contacted Nikon, and supplied them with images that I felt are soft, and they did reply with some suggestions. I am shooting with4 lenses and I seem to get the same soft images. I have a Sigma 120-300 2.8, a Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR, the Nikon 18-200 VR, and an 85mm 1.8. I normally shoot in Aperature priority.

I was wondering if the D200 was created with the individual who is going to do more post processing in mind, as apposed to the D50 owner who may not do as much post processing to images. Does this sound off? Either way, I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

I do use Photoshop to post process. I do use the unsharp mask as well, but when I see the original download from the camera, it feels like the image is not as sharp as it should be.

Any light on the topic would be gladly appreciated.

Jeff
Jeffonyourleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2007, 9:25 PM   #2

All higher end digital cameras do not have agressive sharpening that lower end dSLR's have. The higher end cameras give the photographer more latitude in how they want their image to look. Raw is a file format that supports this.

Any and all jpegs will go through whatever the cameras programmed parameters that are built in.One can also use some of the slider type tweaks built in also, like contrast, colorspace, saturatrion, sharpening and so on. The D50 out of the box in its default settings ismore agressive in PP of the image in-camera than the D200.

There is a reason for Post Process Programs more so for higher end cameras. You have the control more than the camera in how you want the finished product to look.

Get familiar with the digital darkroom and you willproduce some amazing images.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 9:09 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. I am wondering though, with shooting RAW, how much more, if any, latitude do you have with sharpening? I was under the impression that shooting RAW gives you latitude with white balance, highlights, ect..., but if the image is soft, will digital post processing help with sharpness? I do use Unsharp mask, but not heavily, only because I do not want it to look fake. My settings for unsharp mask is normally 100%, 1.5 ratio, with a threshold of 1.

Jeff
Jeffonyourleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 8:32 AM   #4

Sharpening is handled in PP when shooting raw, and works as well as any other PP tool. if you are shooting jpeg or raw+jpeg, use +1 or +2 sharpening in camera.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 7:34 AM   #5

I taken about 15,000 shots with my D50 and then switched to D200 which I also now taken about 15,000 shots. It take time for learning curve for D200. I shall never go back to D50 again. The reason is that with the D200 I can do a lot more after the shot was taken. See my pictures taken with D50 and D200 here: www.flickr.com/photos/ruchai/
ruchai is offline   Reply With Quote