Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 27, 2007, 6:50 AM   #11

Thanks for all your replies with good advice. I think I knew the answer, but needed a little push from my peers. I'm going to pull the trigger on the D40X with the kit lens, with the possibility of getting the 18-200 VR before the trip.

"TexasHillbilly", youradvice about shooting, shooting,and shooting is the best advice I've ever read at Steve's Digicams! That advice could really have a greatimpact on my photography or anybody else. I'm an old film camera guy, having received a Pentax Spotmatic 35mm back in 1965, and I developed the habit of conserving film because of it'sexpense. I keep forgetting that digital pictures are "free", and I can take a zillion shots for almost nothing, and ruthlessly edit.

Since I'm a sporatic photographer, Iuse a label maker and place importantphotographic ideas on the bottom of my camera, such as "golden hour" (a great time to shoot) and "near/far" (my favorite composition technique). I'm going to add "shoot, shoot, shoot".

rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 11:33 AM   #12

TexasHillbilly wrote:
Quote:
Hey Cope

I see yo uare from Houston also

What you been shooting around town lately?

do you have any good places to go shoot

What part of town do you live

I live on east side by northlook by San Jacinto North Campus. I went and shoot the Houston Art Car Parade a week ago oe so and it was great

Texas Hillbilly
TH,

I haven't been out lately except for school functions. I am on the Southwest side of town, SouthBraeswood and Hillcroft area. A friend of mine from Minolta days and I are planning a zoo trip soon. A 3rd shooter who just split his allegiance between Minolt and Nikon may be coming along. When we get to th planning stage I will let you know.

Otto's in Stafford (Fountains Center on 59 south)has a group od classic car owners show up on Saturday evenings. I have been planning to get over, but keep forgeting about it. it's only 6-7 miles for me.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 6:35 PM   #13

The "other" digital website just reviewed the D40x favorably against the Canon XTI and Nikon 40, so here I go....
Old Jun 5, 2007, 7:44 PM   #14

Thanks all for talking me into buying a DSLR now. Just got the D40x yesterday. Very compact...perfect for tourism...easyand fun to use.I wish it had auto exposure bracketing but I'm willing to sacrificethat feature for compactness.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 8:56 PM   #15

rodmeister-

In all honesty, the kit lens ( the 18-55mm lens) plus the Nikon/Nikkor 55-200mmmVR is a much better deal than just the Nikon/Nikkor 18-200mmVR lens alone. Yes, you will have to change lenses, but your IQ will be much better and you will save REAL money. $310 versus $749, that has to appeal to everyone!

I personally own both the Nikkor 18-200mmVR lens and the kit lens + Nikkor 55-200mmVR lens set-up. The two lens solution is much better IQ-wisethan the single lens solution in terms of optical performance.

Another consideration, at least for me, was the size comparison between the two possible solutions.

Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 6:38 AM   #16

I just ordered a D40 yesterday from Amazon. I must be nuts, because I went for the free shipping and will now have to wait on the edge of my seat for another 2 weeks or so until it arrives. (But I'm only paying $503 total... worth the wait.) Maybe by year's end I can spring for the 55-200 zoom.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:57 AM   #17

Tom LaPrise wrote:
Quote:
I just ordered a D40 yesterday from Amazon. I must be nuts, because I went for the free shipping and will now have to wait on the edge of my seat for another 2 weeks or so until it arrives. (But I'm only paying $503 total... worth the wait.) Maybe by year's end I can spring for the 55-200 zoom.
I ordered a D40 yesterday too from Amazon (6/11) along with the 55-200 VR zoom. It's a Father's Day present to me from me. Waiting for UPS now. Good luck with your new camera.
rcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:19 PM   #18

I hadn't thought of the Father's Day "angle," but I told my wife this one would last me at least 5 years... and promised her some built-in bookshelves... plus, we're going to 2 weddings next month and I don't want to take chances. My DiMage Z1 is great in good light, but the focus hunts a lot in lower light and the flash probably wouldn't be up to the task. (At least that's what I told her.)

Every review I've read about the D40 makes me glad I ordered it!
Old Jun 12, 2007, 12:34 PM   #19

Tom LaPrise wrote:
Quote:
I hadn't thought of the Father's Day "angle," but I told my wife this one would last me at least 5 years... and promised her some built-in bookshelves... plus, we're going to 2 weddings next month and I don't want to take chances. My DiMage Z1 is great in good light, but the focus hunts a lot in lower light and the flash probably wouldn't be up to the task. (At least that's what I told her.)

Every review I've read about the D40 makes me glad I ordered it!
I went through a long process of reading just about every review and forum on the web trying to decide between a few DSLR's and took a chance on the D40. You can go crazy researching but you've got to make a choice and live with it at some point. Right now, I'm getting a nice soft pouch which someone online suggested. It's very lightweight and hangs off the lens when not in use. It will give good basic protection from getting scratched or dinged. You can find it at http://www.optechusa.com/product/det...RODUCT_SUB_ID= . Click on the ADVANCED SEARCH button to zero in on one that will fit the D40 (that's the D-MIDSIZE.)

Another great link for new D40 owners is Ken Rockwell's D40 User's Guide: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40...uide/index.htm

And if you haven't done so already, go to these great video tutorials on the D40 from Nikon: http://www.nikondigitalusa.com/main.html

Look for info on the D40 (it's a FLASH page) and then the DIGITUTOR button.

Happy Father's Day to you and all of you too!
rcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 6:43 AM   #20

That's pretty much what I did, and what I also did before I got my Minolta DiMage Z1--read every review I could find, look at the thing in a store, flip a few mental coins... download the manual before getting the camera, too.

I got an e-mail from Amazon, and now they say the estimated arrival date is Friday 6/15!

(Happy Father's Day to you, too, and to all other fathers here.)