Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 26, 2007, 5:05 PM   #1

Im looking at Nikon digital for the first time and am curious about what would be the best bet IQ wise. THe D80 or the D1x? I know the D1x is an older camera but was originally a pro cam. Used I can get one for around 600-700 $. I can get a new D80 for around the same price. So to all you Nikon users out there. Help a brother out........ lol. Whats it going to be? A used D1x or a new D80. I shoot mostly landscapes and portraits, don't care about weight just picture quality, color, lack of noise etc. Thanks guys.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2007, 4:36 AM   #2

for me its down to the "insurance" of a new item over an older one..

d80 for me... just seems like more of a gamble with the D1x

ceecrb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 6:22 AM   #3
PLF

IMHO there isn't much that recommends the D1H over a D80. The D1H has a faster shutter (1/16000 compared to 1/4000) and takes 5fps compared to the D80's 3fps. You have to buy accessories to get the D80 to operate remotely. The D1H has more autofocus sensors.

That's about it. Aside from the fact that the D80 will be under warranty, consider that the D80 is a 10 megapixel camera -- the D1H is only 2.7, a pretty big difference. The D80 has ISO down to 100 and auto ISO. The D1H only goes down to 200 but has no auto ISO. The D80 uses the latest generation of the Nikon matrix meter -- the D1H uses an older version. The D80 uses a lithuium-ion battery while the D1H uses NiMH and I think the former perform better. The D80 connects via USB while the D1H only supports firewire (not sure which is better but USB is a much more common connection in cameras today).

Anway, for me I don't see this as being a particularly close fight. True, the D1H was a pro camera selling for $4,500 when new, but that was over six years ago! A lot has changed in those six years.

P
PLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 6:32 AM   #4

Usb 2.0 is faster than firewire....
Old May 27, 2007, 1:45 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses guys. PLF, I was thinking of the D1X not H and thats a 5.7 mp. But otherwise you're probably right. Im not even sure my comp HAS a firewire connect. Although with my pentax I don't use the connect I upload pics with my card reader.Anyway, you guys gave me some things to think about. I appreciate it.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 2:36 PM   #6
PLF

Well I feel kinda dumb for mixing up the D1H with the D1X. But the comparison mostly still stands, although the D1X does have a more creditable pixel count.

Still it lacks USB, auto ISO, updated metering, the D80's larger rear screen, and a warranty. If I were making the choice for a D1X over a D80 it'd only be because there's something the D1X does that the D80 doesn't do -- something I really need. For me, I'm not sure what that thing would be.

P

PLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 10:57 PM   #7

ceecrb1 wrote:
Quote:
Usb 2.0 is faster than firewire....
Only on paper, not in real life!

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 11:16 PM   #8

but the point still remains...

usb 2.0 protocal IS faster than firewire... the devices connected to it were not my point.......
Old May 29, 2007, 10:47 AM   #9

Good reasons to consider a D1X include: professional build (including vertical grip), and superior AF (despite fewer AF points).

If you don't need the above, the D80 is superior.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote