Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old May 27, 2007, 7:42 PM   #1

Hi all,

I'm planning on getting a D80 in the next month or so, and am down to deciding what lense(s) to go with it. Now I need some advice. I am used to shooting 35mm back in the day and usually lived using a fast 50 for almost everything. So here are my thoughts.

D80 + Kit (18-135)

D80 + Kit (18-135) + Sigma 30 F1.4

D80 + 18-200

D80 + 18-200 + Sigma 30 F1.4

My thinking is this... I like shooting a fast 50 with an SLR for most situations, so the Sigma 30 puts me back into my comfort zone. Since I plan on using this camera for all around use (walk around, parties, vacations, etc) the 30 should give me a lot of options in a variety of lighting conditions. The 18-135 has gotten good reviews, and I've read that it's very sharp for a kit lense, which seems good. However since it's only a 3.5, I think it would be a good general purpose option, and give me a bit more choice depending on where I am. the 18-200 looks good, but I've read some reports stating that it's not as sharp as the 18-135. The 18-200 has VR which while not being any faster, does have VR which might compensate for the speed difference. At least it might allow for a bit more slack depending on the situation.

I can pick up the body + kit locally which is nice, but both the 18-200 and 30F1.4 would have to be ordered. My first instinct is to get the kit so I have something to play with right away, but if I'm going to want to get the 18-200 it would be a waste to have the 18-135 just sitting on a shelf. The Sigma 30 is kind of a given in my head, unless somebody can talk me out of it.

Thanks for any adivce and thouhts while I'm the decision making process.

-Jeff
JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2007, 10:58 AM   #2

I have a D50 but I think this applys to the D80. I ordered my camera with the 18-55 kit lens and bought a 55-200 because the 18-200 was in very short supply and very expensive. This was a big mistake. Now I have to change lenses every time I need a longer lens. If you can order the body only go with the 18-200, and Sigma combo.
BEECEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 11:54 AM   #3

It can also depend on how much you need the 200mm. Remember with digital, your 18-135 with digital will be approximately 1.4 more than with film, making it a 24-180mm, or somewhere around there.

I have the D50, and a D200, with several lenses. I do have the 18-200mm and like it alot, but recently I started thinking exactly how much am I using the 200mm end of the camera. Athough I will say, the VR is nice when you are a tad shaky. I have the 70-22 2.8 with VR and that does help when I am using it without the monopod.

Either way, you cant go wrong. It depends on how much you need the extra 65mm. Also, it always fun to have new toys to play with.

Jeff
Jeffonyourleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 4:47 PM   #4

When I bought my D80, I was facedwith a few decisions...

1. D80 body - Get my own lenses later, once I decide which one(s)

2. D80 with 18-135mm Kit

3.A few hundred more and get a D200 body. Wait a few weeks for the lens(es) - (Cost based decision)

Option 1 was nearly the go but I simply did not know which lenses to get at the time. Option 3 was most likely a good one but that meant that I would have to wait a few weeks to afford the lens(es) and I really wanted to get out and use it straightaway. I therefore chose the D80 and 18-135mm Kit because everwhere I looked the D80 was held in high esteem and winning awards, blah blah blah... Since then, I have bought a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 APO DG HSM (fantastic lens), a 60mm Nikkor Micro for great up close shots and today I am going to pick up a Sigma 1.4 Teleconverter.

The 18-200 VR Nikon lens would be a FANTASTIC+ lens to get but weren't available at the tme. My brother has just bought one and is wrapped with it. The more standard 18-200 type lens may not be so good as from what I have read it may lose some sharpness as the higher magnification comes in, but who knows, although the Sigma version got a good writeup in the mag I just read. An 18-200 would cover all of what the 18-135 will and more but it depends on how well it covers it. The 18-135 is my most used lens as it is very versatile and produces good results. When I want short to medium distance zoomed in shots I use the 70-200mm Sigma and this produces some really magnificant shots but once I get the 1.4 Teleconverter (today), it should give me that extra bit of ooomph needed at those distances, well at least I am hoping it will. When I want some real closeups I switch to the 60mm Micro which makes those tiny little unseens burst into life. I plan to get another dedicated macro lens soon, something in either 105 or 150mm length, for those distantcloseup shots (for lighting issues).

I am trying to choose my lenses methodically, with something to cover the complete usable range but I look upon the 18-135 kit lens as the default lens as it is so "usable"... While I have not gone overboard with my lenses, pricewise, I have NOT skimped on them by buying the "cheaper" ones. I can only suggest you think along that same path.Since my brothergot his 18-200mm VR Nikon lens, I want one too but I already have enough glassware to cover that range, so it now goes to the back of the queue...

If you decide to get an 18-200mm, get the VR job.The extra costwill certainly justify itself,, and quickly too...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 6:15 PM   #5

fewpics wrote:
Quote:
Since then, I have bought a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 APO DG HSM (fantastic lens), a 60mm Nikkor Micro for great up close shots and today I am going to pick up a Sigma 1.4 Teleconverter.
You bought wisely. In addition to your kit, which i also bought, my favorite walkaround lens is the lowely 28-105 Nikkor.

I have looked at the 18-200, but for the price, I am not impressed. I have read some users claim the Tamron 18-250 is as good for 1/3 the price.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 3:35 PM   #6

I should have been clearer in my original post. I was referring to the 18-200 VR lens that is in such hot demand.

-Jeff
Old May 30, 2007, 5:06 PM   #7

have you thought about the 70-300VR?

I have the D80 with the 18-135 kit lens and have been very happy with it, it is very sharp but I wouldn't recommend it forArchitecture. I also have the 50mm f1.8, wow what a lens for the money, it's very very sharp and the colours looks so natural.

Buy the D80 with the 18-135mm kit and the 70-300VR
mansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:00 AM   #8

have you thought about the 70-300VR?

I have the D80 with the 18-135 kit lens and have been very happy with it, it is very sharp but I wouldn't recommend it forArchitecture. I also have the 50mm f1.8, wow what a lens for the money, it's very very sharp and the colours looks so natural.

Buy the D80 with the 18-135mm kit and the 70-300VR

Thats exactly what i have too. Rocking setup.
DocX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2007, 1:21 PM   #9

I DID IT!

I just placed the order last night. I'll have my new rig in time for my B-Day. This was actually my present from my wife. It's usually easier for me to pick what I want then let her guess .

I ended up with the D80 + 18-135 kit, Sigma 30 1.4, and the 70-300 VR. Also UV filters for each lense and a spare battery.

I think I'm covered for pretty much anything I want to do.

Thanks for the suggestions gang, all the input I've gotten here and other posts in the forum have really helped.

-Jeff