Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 3, 2007, 6:35 AM   #1

I am thinking of buying a D50 along with two lenses thatare for sale. Since this will be my first DSLR purchase not quite sure of lens compatability. The two lenses are:

Tamron AF 28-80/3.5-5.6f

Tamron AF 70-300/4.5-6f tele macro(1:2)

In addition to the two lenses I will be purchasing 4 Tiffen filters; 2 for each lens, 3 batteries plus charger, 2 1G media cards, remoteand several other accessories. Price is $700.

Question is are the lenses compatable with the D50 and is the price reasonable. I am purchasing from an individual rather than a company.

Thanks for your comments.

Jeff

jeffa126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2007, 9:38 AM   #2
Administrator

They would work with a D50. But, they're relatively low quality lenses. You can buy both of them new in a kit for a bit over $200 now from a reputable vendor.

http://www.adorama.com/TM2880K3NKAF....&item_no=7

Depending on what you're shooting, you may find that a lens starting out at 28mm isn't quite wide enough either. You'll have a narrower angle of view (more apparent magnification) for a given focal length lens on a DSLR. That's because the sensor is smaller than 35mm film. To see what focal length a lens compares to on a 35mm camera, multiply the focal length by 1.5x

So, a 28-80mm lens on a Nikon DSLR would give you the same angle of view as a 42-120mm lens would on a 35mm camera. That's one reason that the "kit" lenses included with most DSLR models tend to start out at around 18mm. You may not be able to back up enough for group shots and more in tighter quarters with a lens starting out at 28mm (equivalent to 42mm on a 35mm camera for angle of view purposes).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 9:45 AM   #3
Administrator

Is this a new camera or used camera? What vendor is it?

Be careful buying Nikon. Most dealers have been out of the D50 for a while, and many Ebay vendors are selling gray market gear (cameras not intended for sale in the U.S.), with misleading warranty statements (one year warranty that may be a store warranty that isn't worth the paper it's written on, versus a Nikon USA manufacturer's warranty).

Nikon USA will refuse to service a gray market camera, even if you are willing to pay them for the service. Make sure you're buying from a Nikon authorized dealer and that what you're getting is intended for sale in the country you live in.

Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:19 AM   #4

Jim C

It's a used camera about 1 year old. Being sold on E-Bay by an individual.

I'm wanting to get into the DSLR field, but not sure what camera/lenses. Pretty new to me. For the most part like taking pics of flowers, portraits and landscape.

So, I guess I'm not sure whether to buy a camera with kit lens and then purchase additional lenses as needed or buy this item with the two lenses. And if I do go with this purchase, is it a good price or not.

Thanks for any help...Jeff

Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:33 AM   #5
Administrator

Jeff:

Personally, I'd be more inclined to buy a used body from a reputable vendor versus an individual on Ebay.

It looks like B&H has one in 10 Condition now for $399:

Nikon D50 in 10 Condition at B&H

That way, they've checked out the camera and graded it accordingly. They also have a pretty good return policy, as well as a warranty on used gear:

B&H Used Gear Return and Warranty Policy

Another excellent source for used gear is http://www.keh.com

They've got a couple of Like New - graded D50s now for a bit over $400, and one D50 kit for under $500 with the 18-55mm kit lens.

See the Nikon Digital Section there and look at both camera bodies and outfits. For used lenses, check out the 35mm section for Nikon Autofocus Lenses (and they have separate categories for Nikon Zoom, third party zoom, etc.

They also have a very good return/warranty policy for their used gear:

http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/faq.aspx#aWarrantyPolicy

As for lenses, you can spend a lot or a little on lenses, and depending on what/where you're shooting, the results can vary a lot. There are pros and cons to any of them (size, weight, cost, focus speed, resistance to flare, sharpness, distortion, etc.). The consumer grade lenses would be a way to get in cheap as long as you're shooting in better lighting and don't need the highest quality for larger prints..

I'd probably get one starting out a bit wider than 28mm. But, some people are fine with one starting out that long. You can pickup lenses like you're mentioning for very little money on the used market. Check the used listings at reputable vendors for examples. Higher quality lenses will cost you more.

Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:46 AM   #6

Jim C

Thanks so much for all your help. I think I will skip on the purchase for now.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:51 AM   #7
Administrator

From my perspective, a D50 body in 10 condition (as new) is only $399 from B&H, and those two lenses could be purchased for around $200 new (or even less used).

So, that's about $100 less (or more savings if you go used with the lenses) compared to the $700 deal you're seeing from an individual, and you wouldn't get the warranty like you would from one of the better known vendors. I don't know the value of the accessories. But, I don't see it as being a good deal compared to using a reputable vendor.

Of course, that body might sell 10 minutes from now. Used inventory tends to turn over frequenty. lol