Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 7, 2007, 2:56 PM   #1

I recently purchased a Vivitar Macro lens for my Nikon 40DX. When I attach it, I get a message stating that the lens is not properly attached so I do not get any readings from it but I cannot see what the problem is as it seems to fit on fine and it seems to be properly aligned up. Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!!!

annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2007, 7:44 AM   #2

I think that you've found the major negative point in the D40 series. Older/off brand lenses may not be 'seen' by the D40. I bought a cheapie 500mm mirror lens and get the same readings. The camera will operate in Manual mode, allowing me to fire off the shutter. But I have to guess exposure and take some test shots to see if I'm in the ballpark at all. I'd guess your Vivitar lens would be in the same boat.

The lenses that will work with your camera will be Nikkor AF/S designated. At the moment, the only other lenses available for the D40 that I know of are Sigma HSM types.

BTW, if anybody wants to buy a 500mm paperweight, let me know.

Greg
gregm1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 10:36 AM   #3
Administrator

What Vivitar model did you buy? Is it a newer Autofocus model?

If so, your camera should meter with it (as long as it's a more recent design with a CPU built in).

You just wouldn't have Autofocus (you need a lens with a builit in focus motor for that with a D40 or D40x, like a Nikkor AF-S lens or a Sigma HSM lens).

But, if it's an older Manual Focus design, you wouldn't have metering or Autofocus.

The lowest cost current model in the Nikon DSLR lineup that can meter with non-CPU lenses is the D200.

If your Vivitar is a newer AF design with a CPU and metering won't work, it could have a compability quirk with your camera. That happens from time to time with third party lenses.

Are you turning the Aperture Ring on the lens to the highest f/stop number? That's where it needs to stay for the camera to see and control it (if it's a modern lens design).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 3:14 PM   #4

The lens is a Vivitar 28070 MACRO 1.5X, N/AI-S. It only seems to work when the camera is set for manual but there are no readings and I cannot use the flash which was kind of disappointing for macro.

I took the lens out this afternoon and tried some flower shots. Some of them were okay and some were terrible. Guess I need to practice and save my money for a better lens. Thanks for the help everybody!

annie57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 3:23 PM   #5

I find this funny

I'm looking to buy a used D50 right now becuase I can't afford a D40. When I do it will be my first digital and the first time I ever had a camera with an exposure metter in it.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie57 View Post
I recently purchased a Vivitar Macro lens for my Nikon 40DX. When I attach it, I get a message stating that the lens is not properly attached so I do not get any readings from it but I cannot see what the problem is as it seems to fit on fine and it seems to be properly aligned up. Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!!!
We had the same problem. The fix is to free up the contact that sits apart from the ones on the mount collar. As a note this is not the same lens so you may have to look for a similar contact on the Vivitar lens.

View detailed pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/huskerb...7623395271967/
huskerbrown is offline   Reply With Quote