Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 12, 2007, 1:37 PM   #1

I was reading Ken Rockwell's excellent online guide to the D40 and he says that there is very little difference in IQ between the basic and and fine settings so he uses basic most of the time for the small file size. Since I don't have my D40 yet (it's coming today) I'd like to know what you think.

You can see Ken's fantastic guide at http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40...uide/index.htm
rcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2007, 3:11 PM   #2

I have had a D40 for a few months, started with the fine setting, and was very pleased with the picture quality straight from the camera. Because exposure in high contrast scenes needed more attention than my previous non DLSR cameras, I changed to RAW + basic to experiment and compare the JPEG and RAW images. The basic JPEGS look fine to me, but I don't print large or do a lot of cropping. So far, there hasn't been any obvious degradation and I haven't felt the need to do comparisons of Fine and Basic. Since memory is cheap, unless you shoot RAW + Basic, you might as well use the default Fine setting when you get the camera. Ken Rockwell's guide is good, but he does like strong colours! The default colour saturation settings are good to start with.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 5:42 PM   #3

1eyedeer wrote:
Quote:
Ken Rockwell's guide is good, but he does like strong colours! The default colour saturation settings are good to start with.
Do you agree with Ken that the exposure system in the D40 (and the D80) is "defective," as he puts it causing chronic overexposure. Ken suggests to compensate EV -2/3 of a stop to correct it.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 5:45 PM   #4

1eyedeer wrote:
Quote:
Ken Rockwell's guide is good, but he does like strong colours! The default colour saturation settings are good to start with.
Do you agree with Ken that the exposure system in the D40 (and the D80) is "defective," as he puts it causing chronic overexposure. Ken suggests to compensate EV -2/3 of a stop to correct it.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 5:53 PM   #5

1eyedeer wrote:
Quote:
I have had a D40 for a few months, started with the fine setting, and was very pleased with the picture quality straight from the camera. Because exposure in high contrast scenes needed more attention than my previous non DLSR cameras, I changed to RAW + basic to experiment and compare the JPEG and RAW images. The basic JPEGS look fine to me, but I don't print large or do a lot of cropping. So far, there hasn't been any obvious degradation and I haven't felt the need to do comparisons of Fine and Basic. Since memory is cheap, unless you shoot RAW + Basic, you might as well use the default Fine setting when you get the camera. Ken Rockwell's guide is good, but he does like strong colours! The default colour saturation settings are good to start with.
Do you agree with Ken that the exposure system in the D40 (and the D80) is "defective," as he puts it causing overexposure. Ken suggests to compensate EV -2/3 of a stop to correct it.
Old Jun 13, 2007, 12:46 PM   #6

Quote:
rcfuzz wrote:
Quote:

I am not experienced enough to make that judgement - I have read several long threads discussing this issue. All I know is that my compact Casios and Sony H5 have consistent exposure with matrix, centre or spot weighting, whereas my D40 in matrix metering will often over expose on skies if the centre focus (with exposure bias on this focus point) is on a non-sky object (usually a darker tone). I set a constant -0.3 stop exposure, and often "focus" on the sky/cloudsthen recompose. Exposure is great on less contrasty scenes and indoors. Bright blue skies are less problematic than washed out skies. If an image is underexposed you can correct and still get the detail back in PP. Even the D40 in camera "D lighting" retouch works well to lighten the dark tones and keep the sky the same.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 4:17 PM   #7

1eyedeer wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
rcfuzz wrote:
Quote:

I am not experienced enough to make that judgement - I have read several long threads discussing this issue. All I know is that my compact Casios and Sony H5 have consistent exposure with matrix, centre or spot weighting, whereas my D40 in matrix metering will often over expose on skies if the centre focus (with exposure bias on this focus point) is on a non-sky object (usually a darker tone). I set a constant -0.3 stop exposure, and often "focus" on the sky/cloudsthen recompose. Exposure is great on less contrasty scenes and indoors. Bright blue skies are less problematic than washed out skies. If an image is underexposed you can correct and still get the detail back in PP. Even the D40 in camera "D lighting" retouch works well to lighten the dark tones and keep the sky the same.
Thanks for the tips. I'll give it a try and see what happens.