Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 13, 2007, 8:18 PM   #1

Just bought a 40D, which only has a 1 year warranty (as opposed to 5 years on the lens.) Has anyone purchased a Nikon extended warranty and what was your experience if you used it for a repair? Just wanted to know if it was worth the $99.
rcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:00 AM   #2

Can't comment on the Nikon OEM warranties but these types only cover manufacturer defects; not accidents, theft, mishandlingetc. For these coverages one needs insurance such as home owners' insurance or specific insurance riders. The issues w/HO insurance and the like is if/when one has a claim.

If its with your HO insuring firm, a claim may result in major premium increases and/or dropped coverages. If you go this way, it may be better to have the coverage through a separate underwriter.

You may want to consider that, for a lot less, one can obtain extended warranties from Mack for ~1/3 of the cost. Major, reputable firms such as Cameta, B&H Photo et al offer the Mack with same coverage as the Nikon OEM insurance. Yes, there are horror postings of unsatisfactory/denied Mack claims but, in the end, its a calculated risk aversion decision one must make on their own for any insurance decision.

For my part, I have 5-year Mack warranties on my gear and am heartened by postings such as --

Quote:
Because, in spite of your very real and frustrating situation, the vast majority of repairs Mack handles are uneventful. We do not sell what we "..know to be problem warranties..." We sell Mack's service which, in spite of this situation, is generally useful. We sell a lot of brands and products. We don't carry what we determine to be unreliable.

--
>Henry Posner
>B&H Photo-Video, Inc.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=21214643

Keep in mind that the Mack warranty must be purchased w/i 30-days of the equipment purchase and does not need to be from the same vendor that the equipment was purchased from.
Telecorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:35 AM   #3

I do not have one. I have not bought anything new in a while. But I was going to buy new and did a lot of reading. I noticed that a lot of the warrenties, even from the camera makers (as opposed to store worenties) Do not cover a lot of things. So I suggest you read it over carfully. If it has good coverage then it might be worth it. Consider it insurance. Unlike the old film days a lot can go wrong with a digital camera.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 11:51 AM   #4

Whats this issue with Nikon not giving International Warrenty. I feel really pissed about it, is it just to protect ones country economy?

I find this a big turn off in the whole not being internationally reconised. If I wanted to get a camera from elsewhere make me think 5 times before I want to buy Nikon stuff.

After reading the other comment saying that Nikon will not repair if its not from your country where you purchase is a real turn off. Seriously whats with them?
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2007, 4:51 AM   #5

If you use a particular credit card they (the credit card company) will automatically double the warranty. At one time American Express Gold was the only one but I've recently heard that there are some Master Card and Visa cards that'll do it, too. If you plan on paying with cash, why not use the card and send in a payment the same day. That way you'll get the extended warranty and still keep your credit card balance at zero.
austintarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 9:11 AM   #6

The ultimate person to decide the worth is you. To me, the Nikon 1 year warranty extension was worth the $99 when I bought my D200. I had experience with the D100 and I wish that the extended warranty were available for that. I look at this way, I send a new camera in for cleaning/adjustment just before the year is up. With the extended warranty, I can do that again just before the end of year 2. Nikon gets more than $99 (about $275) to map out hot pixels and do a general adjustment of the AF, meter, etc so to me, the value of the extended warranty is paid for with just one routine service. You'll get even more if you send it in for sensor cleanings. My experience with DSLRs is that over time, the electronics can drift from their factory settings, which means unlike film cameras, they seem to require more frequent trips to Nikon for adjustment. YMMV.
Baywing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2007, 2:35 PM   #7

nexusworks wrote:
Quote:
Whats this issue with Nikon not giving International Warrenty. I feel really angry about it, is it just to protect ones country economy?

I find this a big turn off in the whole not being internationally reconised. If I wanted to get a camera from elsewhere make me think 5 times before I want to buy Nikon stuff.

After reading the other comment saying that Nikon will not repair if its not from your country where you purchase is a real turn off. Seriously whats with them?
Nikon USA, as any other Nikon distributor, pays for warranty work out of their profits. They do not make profits from Nikon UK, so they will not honor UK warranty. The same is true anywhere in the world. I am happy with this because when I send my Nikon USA camera for service, I don't have to wait while they repair a camera from Katmandu or London.

cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 5:32 AM   #8

True but still what if you are someone that is from New Zeland and migrate to Australia or even Singapore. What? our warraty is invalid? That blows.

I find that lenses are 1 year international warranty, so thats not really a great excuse honestly. and they can be extended to 5 years warranty especially only in states by the Nikon @denver only applies to the states

If you tell me it does not qualify for any extended warranty that is by all means fine.

Not on an electronic equipment where Tourist are tempted to buy them. An international 1 year warranty should be granted. If the lenses can apply, I dont see why cameras cant.

For you guys in the states IT IS WORTH to extend the warranty.
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 4:33 AM   #9

This constant warranty talk frankly amuses me. I've been using Nikons and Nikkors for nearly 30 years and have never yet had a problem. My 80/200 fell onto a tiled floor and broke the UV but the lens wasn't marked. The F2 and F90X have lost all their lacquer due to hard use over the yearsbut stillrun like a swiss watch. Some of my lenses (and I now have 11 Nikkors) are ancient like the 500mm mirror but function perfectly, even on a D2X. My latest two lenses are of US origin because european prices are so high; $2,500 higher in the case of the 200/400 F4 lens alone. If there is a problem I must send it back to the shop I bought it from in the US but the postage is sure going to be less than the savings. However, I am open to taking all bets that I won't be needing their services in the next 20 years.

Just calm down all you folk out there and understand you are buying a seriously engineered piece of equipment. If a problem is going to arise it will show up pretty early on usually anyway, just like a computer. Every time a new lens or piece of equipment comes out there are posts about returning it because of faults. There were loads about the 17/55 F2.8 lens at the beginning but frankly I don't think that most of the posters have ever been in contact with the actual lens. They're just dreamers. You don't see those posts any more and my example was, as always with my Nikon equipment, perfect.

My advice? Just get out there and keep shooting. Enjoy the camera, don't worry about it.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:12 PM   #10

I prefer the Nikon's OEM extended warranty (U.S.). I've also talked to a locak authorized Nikon repair center. If you furnish the warranty and your proof-of-purchase, the authorized service center can cover some repairs at no cost (as opposed to sending it back to Nikon U.S.A.)
Webapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote