Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 17, 2007, 6:01 PM   #11

I've had similar issues with the way I bought my D80...

I bought mine from a parallel importer. It cost me about 25% less than from recognised Nikon outlets or dealers. They all told me before I bought it,, that you wont get this and you wont get that etc etc, if you buy a parallel imported model,, when I compared prices. Nikon (our local agent) will NOT honour any warranty on mine now because it wasn't bought from one of "them" - BUT,, they will repair it, because they have to...

At the end of the day, I only know I saved quite a few bucks by getting it from outside the square and I know that if I have to get anything fixed, it will take no longer to get it back, because Nikon here will only send it back to Japan to get repaired. So whether it goes through Nikon or the shop I bought it from, makes little difference to me. I'll have to wait a few months either way... I don't buy things with the view that they will break down, or I would never buy anything at all. I buy them to use and enjoy, and the cheaper I can get it, the better it is from my pockets point of view...

I don't know what the photography circles are like in your respective countries, but over here, many of the better shops think they are dealing in some sort of super product, that any seriousphotography is for the elite only. This is definitely one thing I have picked up when buying stuff from them. Most of them try to talk above you and look down their nose at you because they think they know more than you, etc... I am not brand loyal, nor am I shop loyal. I buy whatever I want and from wherever I want to.

Havingsaid what I said above, I am still very careful about what I buy and where I buy it. Sometimes, certain shops will sell one thing quite cheap and other things a lot more expensive. They want to make their money just like the others. I visit many shops and take a lot of what they tell me, with a grain of salt. Just a few weeks ago, I bought a Sigma teleconverter and tried to get it from one of the shops in the above statement, only, they hardly wanted to know about it. "What do you want one of those things for, why not just buy this lens - I'll have to see if I can get one in for you?" with a smirky look in his sleazy face... After a few days of waiting for a reply, I phoned up the Sigma agent and told them about it and they let me buy direct from them, saving a handful of dollars.

I reckon, if you can buy it from a place at a heavily reduced price, gofor it... Just make sure of what you are buying and if they try to unload other accessories on you at a higher cost, just tell them "NO, I only want the camera, thankyou very much"... The BIG secret= SHOP around,, and,,, take note...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 8:27 PM   #12

I recently bought a D80 kit w/ 18-135 and SB-600 flash for a little under $1200 at Broadway photo, I took a chance and was suprised when I did NOT get the "verification call " to add more overpriced junk. It was a grey market camera and I tried to send to Nikon to repair an issue with it soft focusing they sent it back without being repaired and said to send it back where I bought it from. I called Broadway and was again pleasently surprised when they said they would gladly send it off for service and should recieve back in 3-4 weeks. I was however very upset that Nikon refused to repair it and did not care that I just converted my studio gear from Canon to Nikon (several grand worth) I did inform them that this is the second time I have had to send in a nikon camera in a short time compared to never for my canon gear over 6 years of frequent use. I will probably see how this repair goes and if not happy will sell all nikon stuff and go with canon.
fyremanj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:51 PM   #13
Administrator

fyremanj1 wrote:
Quote:
I recently bought a D80 kit w/ 18-135 and SB-600 flash for a little under $1200 at Broadway photo, I took a chance and was suprised when I did NOT get the "verification call " to add more overpriced junk.
Let me get this straight. You knew of the vendor's reputation, and yet you "took a chance"?

Did you look at the customer reviews (pages of them) at http://www.resellerratings.com ?

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo

How about the BBB report?

http://www.newyork.bbb.org/reports/b...1&id=68047

Quote:
It was a grey market camera and I tried to send to Nikon to repair an issue with it soft focusing they sent it back without being repaired and said to send it back where I bought it from.
And you didn't know that it was going to be a gray market camera, even though you apparently knew of their reputation?

Then, you go on to say you're "very upset that Nikon refused to repair it". Are you saying that you didn't know Nikon wouldn't repair it, when you knew of the dealer's reputation and you knew you were "taking a chance"?

Just where is Broadway going to get the camera serviced? Japan? Nikon USA isn't going to service it. Nikon Canada won't touch it. Do you think anyone else in the U.S. will have the service software and test equipment to interface to the camera and recalibrate it to correct any focus problems?

If they really have someone to fix it, and that someone can figure out how to do a mechanical adjustment of the AF sensors without the service software (that only Nikon has) to properly calibrate it, it might get it better if you're real lucky. But, I wouldn't count on it.

No offense, but this is your first post here and I'm having a hard time believing that someone would part with "a little under $1200" for a gray market D80 with a Nikkor 18-135mm and SB600, knowing the potential problems, when reputable dealers like http://www.bhphotovideo.com and http://www.beachcamera.com have Nikon USA warrantied D80 kits with the 18-135mm for $1119.95, and the SB600 for $164.95

If you were really willing to deal with these guys (apparently knowing of their reputation), for that little savings (assuming you didn't get burned with high shipping/insurance charges and more), my condolences.

As for them being so nice and your complaint about having more than one Nikon with problems, are you sure the camera wasn't previously used and returned broken? The "Known broken goods" section of this article is worth a read:

How to buy a digital camera without being robbed

Let us know if you actually get a repaired camera back in 3 or 4 weeks (or ever).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2007, 10:45 PM   #14

fyremanj1 wrote:
Quote:
I was however very upset that Nikon refused to repair it and did not care that I just converted my studio gear from Canon to Nikon (several grand worth) I did inform them that this is the second time I have had to send in a nikon camera in a short time compared to never for my canon gear over 6 years of frequent use. I will probably see how this repair goes and if not happy will sell all nikon stuff and go with canon.
Nikon USA has an agreement with the mother ship that they absorb warranty repairs out of their profits, as does Nikon Europe/UK or whatever they are called. Only in the case of a major snafu/recall will Japan cover repairs. This is why Nikon USA will not repair your gray market camera, and why Nikon UK will not repair a Nikon USA camera.
cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 9:03 PM   #15

Thanks for all the help, ended up buying the D80..USA model.

So now I have the D80. 18-200 VR and the SB800. I should be set for a while.
jb4short is offline   Reply With Quote