Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 15, 2007, 7:30 PM   #1

I'm getting back into photography after many years (it was a hobby in high school - I'm 54 now) and you all have inspired me to post a few pictures I took over the past few days with my new D40. I'm not posting them as works of art but just to show other D40 newbies that it's a nifty camera.

My question: I used Picture Project to bring the photos on to my Mac and with most pics I just pressed the AUTO ENHANCEMENT button. When I was viewing them on Picture Project I was kind of disappointed because the pictures looked a little soft and flat and not as colorful. For a while I thought there was something wrong with me or the camera. However, I just got a copy of Photoshop Elements 4.0 and used Picture Bridge to view the pictures and I was thrilled because they looked much sharper and clearer and they look fantastic on Flickr.

Is this normal for Picture Project?

All of the following pictures were shot with the 18-55mm kit lens and the 55-200mm VR and I set up the camera according to Ken Rockwell's suggestions.
This first picture is a wild flower that was growing across from my house in NJ:

This next picture I shot with available light at Mt. Carmel Church in The Bronx:

Stained glass window over the door of Mt. Carmel Church:

The next set of pictures pictures were shot in a mix of fluorescent and daylight (from skylights) at the Arthur Avenue Market in The Bronx (I stayed with AUTO WB):

I used the flash on these dried sausages in the Arthur Avenue Market:

This is one of our local reservoirs in Harrington Park, NJ:

And these are some local critters:

rcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2007, 12:46 PM   #2

I have to agree with you on the Picture Project being soft with the images. I used it once and took it off of the computer. It takes up a lot of space too. I am in the process of upgrading my computer software. In June's PCPhoto issue, they rate the top 10 imaging applications for your digital work. It is a good read if you are looking to upgrade or purchase software. I am looking to upgrade the computer myself, and will be goingwith a MAC. Check it out

www.pcphotomag.com

Good luck, and by the way, they are some nice pictures posted!

Jeff
Jeffonyourleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 3:36 PM   #3

Jeffonyourleft wrote:
Quote:
I have to agree with you on the Picture Project being soft with the images. I used it once and took it off of the computer. It takes up a lot of space too. I am in the process of upgrading my computer software. In June's PCPhoto issue, they rate the top 10 imaging applications for your digital work. It is a good read if you are looking to upgrade or purchase software. I am looking to upgrade the computer myself, and will be goingwith a MAC. Check it out

http://www.pcphotomag.com

Good luck, and by the way, they are some nice pictures posted!

Jeff
Thanks for the info, Jeff. I'm not sure what I'm going to use to PP my pictures. Although Picture Project seems to soften the image I found it easy to quickly correct my photos, usually by just hitting the AUTO CORRECT button. I'll have to see how iPhoto does or Photoshop Elements 4 (the latest version for the Mac.) BTW, you'll love the Mac.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 3:15 AM   #4

Great job rcfuzz, I really like your style. I never really thought about taking my camera to the market. It's going to happen now though.
Bursie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2007, 6:19 AM   #5

Bursie wrote:
Quote:
Great job rcfuzz, I really like your style. I never really thought about taking my camera to the market. It's going to happen now though.
I grew up in a small Italian neighborhood in The Bronx and although I live in NJ I still go there to shop now and then. It's a wonderful area with lots of photo opportunities. I was actually just looking for colorful things to shoot to test out the camera, which I love.

Here's a nice shot I got yesterday with my 55-200mm VR when I went to my local park.

Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:24 AM   #6

what lens are you using, i love the colors in your pics.

I just upgraded from a POint and shoot camera to the Nikon D40 as well, but i only have the kids lens, will upgrade to this next week:

18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Autofocus Lens
I haven't really taken the camera out the house yet, just learning a few things about it first.

i cannot wait to take some awesome shots, as welll as get advise from you guys, as i'm new to the DSLR world.

Awesome pictures.
ricanlinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 6:36 AM   #7

Very nice photos...I like the one of the church in the Bronx.
austintarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2007, 6:37 AM   #8

Very nice photos...I like the one of the church in the Bronx. Like you, I recently picked up a D-40X and started snapping a few photos. I'll have some posted in a few weeks once I return from a quick trip to north Texas. Keep up the good work!
Old Jun 29, 2007, 6:37 AM   #9

Very nice photos...I like the one of the church in the Bronx. Like you, I recently picked up a D-40X and started snapping a few photos. I'll have some posted in a few weeks once I return from a quick trip to north Texas. Keep up the good work!
Old Jul 19, 2007, 11:05 AM   #10

Nice pictures. I just bought the D40 with the kit 18-55mm lens. Can you tell me what settings you used for each picture i.e. which lens and also which settings such as ISO, Auto or Priority mode etc.?

Thanks.
donka is offline   Reply With Quote