Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 23, 2007, 11:26 AM   #1

Hello Folks,

I'm writing in the name of my best friend, who acquired a D-80...and has as I named a "Battery>camera chamber contact issue".:shock:

I will try to explain you his problem, looking forward for any input of what really happen!:?

He charge the supplied on the box originally "Gray" color battery, insert it on the battery chamber place, he told me that was noticed by him some "PLAY" of the battery inside the chamber...the camera was turned ON, after a few shoots the battery indicator shoe that the battery has 1/4 of his power only..so he turn OFF the main front switch lever...wait 2 minutes & turned again ON...the battery indicator show "Full Battery"...this not usual issue continue to occur till today..., so he home asking to drop this topic asking what really happen, & if any of you had or have the same problem.
He ask that maybe exist the possibility of a battery/camera bad contact..or any other issue?

Any input/advise/response will be very gratefully:G

Peace.

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2007, 3:10 AM   #2

This seems very unusual. Are you sure he has the correct battery. The D80 takes an EN-EL3E battery.

The first thing to solving this problem is to find where the play is. Is it the camera or battery at fault...

If there is play inside the battery chamber then try to put something in behind the battery to squeeze it up to the contacts (like a small piece of folded paper)and see if this makes a difference. If this stops the problem, then you know that at least it "IS" the battery you have which is at fault. Now you can take it back and get it replaced or compare it to another EN-EL3Eand see if there is a difference in size. Your friend may have got a dud or bad battery.

I wish you good luck...!!!
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 4:24 AM   #3

fewpics wrote:
Quote:
This seems very unusual. Are you sure he has the correct battery. The D80 takes an EN-EL3E battery.

The first thing to solving this problem is to find where the play is. Is it the camera or battery at fault...

If there is play inside the battery chamber then try to put something in behind the battery to squeeze it up to the contacts (like a small piece of folded paper)and see if this makes a difference. If this stops the problem, then you know that at least it "IS" the battery you have which is at fault. Now you can take it back and get it replaced or compare it to another EN-EL3Eand see if there is a difference in size. Your friend may have got a dud or bad battery.

I wish you good luck...!!!
Thanks so much for your cute advise...I check it, & is the Originally Nikon EN-EL3E one, he after check the Menu...set to "Lithium" battery...& till yet is working well...he (My Buddy)...will inform me when goes again wrong!

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 12:30 PM   #4

This appears to be a known issue with the D80. Go to www.nikonians.org, and search in the D80 Forum. There have been multiple long threads about false low battery messages on the D80 and certain lenses.
yendikeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 6:08 AM   #5

Edited - Sorry guys...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote