Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 24, 2007, 11:05 PM   #1

Currently I have a D50 with the kit lens, a Tamron 17-50 2.8 and a Tamron 18-200.
Recently I caught G.A.S (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) badly and have been looking at online auction sites for a new camera body.
While looking I noticed some good deals on used D200's (without lense) and on new K10D's.

I want to upgrade in the next 2 months before a trip to Mt. Fuji (I live in Japan).

Please help me decide which camera to get.

I've used both in the store and loved both of them.

D200:
-loved the feel of it, as well as the speed and customizability.
--Was a little heavy for my taste, but maybe I will get used to it.
-I wouldn't have to sell my lenses to buy into a new system

K10D:
-Also loved the feel, though not quite as comfortable as the D200
-lighter weight
-also has environmental seals
--new system
--slightly slower AF speed.

shaolin_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2007, 3:41 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Comes back to the age old question, what sort of shooting do you do and where to you want your photography to go in the future?

I've once made a system change and it was not cheap, however I had more lenses to replace, but even so you will be losing money by changing the system and if you go D200 and keep the D50 you then have a good backup just in case.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:07 AM   #3

Thanks for the input, Mark.
I mainly do Landscape photography, but have recently also gotten into Portraits.
As for the future, I'd like to get more professional with my photography, but I realize I still have a lot to learn to get there.
So I was thinking of upgrading from my D50 to get a camera that will grow with me as my skills increase.
shaolin_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:31 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Not wishing to cause controversy but sticking with the 2 big players is probably the best way to go (in your case stay) if you are looking at more pro work. Nothing at all wrong with the K10D but the current systems from C and N are full of kit for the pro and I would say Pentax would be by next choice. The only thing to think about is working in low light as the high ISO on the big Nikons (D200 and D2X) are weak in comparison to Canon.

In general I would go for D200 and start building your Nikon system as long as weddings aren't going to play a big part in your future. If you spend time on any wedding forum you will see 99% of the users with Canon.... well not including those using medium format.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote