Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jun 27, 2007, 10:12 PM   #1

I just upgraded frmo a Sony H5 to a nikon D40.

i mainly shoot sports (mountain biking), from what i know i used to use the "S" setting to shoot for sports i used to put it up to 300 Speed and get these kinds of pictures (with a point and shoot)

These Pics are from my old Sony point-and-shoot camera H5:

These are great pics taken by a non DSLR. and i should get a much better pic out of my SLR, right?

How and what setting should i mess with to get these results on my Nikon D40. Right now i'm just using the kit lens but plan on getting a better lens.

please help.

thanks
ricanlinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2007, 11:16 PM   #2

The D40 has a sports mode. The little guy running[/i] or try shutter priority "S" for better shots. A fast shutter speed to freeze the action a slower shutter speed while panning to blur the background. You will have to experiment.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 7:35 AM   #3

Sorry, i think i was drinking last night, i re-read my post and it almost makes no sense.

Sony has a Automatic Sports sections as well, which i never used, i used Shutter mode (S) i which i set the shutter to 300 or 350 to freeze.

i was messing around with the nikon and set the Shutter to 350 and it was saying the the "Subject was too dark", maybe because i wasn't outside i was home experimenting with it.... Any idea if i shoul;d be fooling around with the fstop stuff on shutter priority mode?

Well, i'll fool around with the camea until i get the setting that i really like, and go from there.

i'm new to Dslr cameras, so it's a bit confusing to me right now. i may go to a Photo class, next week.
Old Jun 28, 2007, 8:44 AM   #4

In shutter mode the camera will take care of the F stops

If you set your ISO to auto The camera will also increase the ISO setting as light levels drop to maintain the fast sutter speed.

Their are many good books out their on photogaphy. Some dedicates to the type of shooting you are doing. I suggest you look for one or two to read.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 9:37 AM   #5

thanks alot buddy.

i just realized i posted this up in the wrong forums.

but thanks for helping, headed to the book store today to pick up a photography book on sports.

thanks again.
Old Jun 29, 2007, 7:20 AM   #6
Administrator

ricanlinx wrote:
Quote:
i just realized i posted this up in the wrong forums.
I moved it to the Nikon dSLR Forum for you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 11:52 AM   #7

Auto iso is great, but it will only bump-up the iso when the shutter speed falls to 125.
Yuma_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:59 AM   #8

It will bump ISO up at whatever shutter speed limit you set it to. I have mine set for 1/15 second, but will probably change it to 1/30.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote