Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 8, 2003, 5:59 AM   #1

Default What to do?

I sent my 1 year old grey market D1x back to Genesis Camera in Pa. where I bought it for a CCD cleaning and was told before I sent it to them that this would take 3 to 4 weeks. It's now been 8 weeks and still haven't got my camera. After numorous hours on the phone waiting to talk to someone (their voice mail was full the 2 times I tried to leave a message) I did get to talk to someone finally on Wednesday July 30th and was told that my camera was done and due to be sent out by FedEx the following day and a tracking number would be emailed to me. One week later and several more hours on the phone waiting to talk to someone to get the tracking # that was supposed to be sent to me I finally got to talk to someone and was given the tracking # and I confirmed it was the right one before I got off the phone and the tracking when entered does not show anything. So another 2 hours on the phone today that went unanswered as well as not being able to leave a message because their voice mail was full, the two emails I sent them were not answered and their www.genesiscamera.com is not acessible as well as their other website www.645af.com
Anybody out there know what to do besides next time buying a new camera with a USA warranty.
Thanks!
Mike
http://www.islandracer.com/
islandracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2003, 9:39 AM   #2

3 to 4 weeks for a CCD cleaning?
Its about a 15-20 minute job at ANY decent camera repair shop.

You sent it to Pennsylvania from Hawaii for cleaning?
Your telling me that there are no good repair shops on ANY of the Hawaiian Islands, California, Oregon, or Washington State?

Over 8 weeks and its still MIA? All you get is "Voicemail is Full"? The tracking number doesn't work?
Unless a miracle happens, I would consider it lost (hopefully I'm wrong). Get hold of a LIVE person at Genesis and have them get the manager. DO NOT LET THEM PUT YOU ON HOLD! Get a direct phone number that bypasses the voicemail if possible. If the manager tries to dismiss it, get the owner!

Funny, I went to the URLs you gave. Both came up yahoo.com and required a username and password to enter.

Here is some info that may help:

Registrant:
Genesis Camera (GENESISCAMERA-DOM)
814 W. Lancaster Ave.
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010
US

Domain Name: GENESISCAMERA.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
Saner, Monique (MS15550) [email protected]
1000 CONESTOGA RD
BRYN MAWR, PA 19010-1551
US
610-527-6250 fax: 610-527-6712

Record expires on 16-Oct-2003.

Good Luck,
JoeSlotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 11:59 AM   #3

Also consider contacting the Better Business Bureau. I assume you’d have to contact the one in PA. It might not help at the moment (as the camera is in their hands already) but you might find out if they have lots of complains against them or not. You could also lodge a formal complaint against them with them.

The attorney general’s office in PA is another choice, they oversee consumer protection. You probably could do some web wandering around the State Government of PA’s web site and find the right group to contact. Ok, no you don’t. The address is:

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/

(Yes, that is for PA. I would have thought that was the Federal one.)
or the Bureau of Consumer Protection
http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/ppd/bcp/index.cfm

Which has an online complaint form:
http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/ppd/b...orm/cmplnt.cfm

All those are for PA. You might get their interest by pointing out that if this store really ran a scam to get lots of camera stuff and then steal it, it could involve 10’s of thousands of dollars of stuff. That gets into serious fraud and attracts the interest of legal authorities.

Do you have a lawyer friend? Would they do you a favor and write something-official sounding and scary on paper with real letterhead saying how much trouble they are going to get into unless they send you your camera?

What you really want is one of these people, with official standing, to contact them and get their attention. Scare them in ways you can’t.

I agree with JoeSlotz, it sounds like you should consider the camera a loss. Do you have it on some form of insurance policy? You might contact them and see if this is covered (I doubt it, but its worth exploring!)

JoeSlotz is also right to point out that if all you were getting is a sensor cleaning, any decent digitally aware camera shot could do that. Another angle would be to look for an “official Nikon dealer” on the island…. they should know how to clean a D1X, along with cleaning your lenses when you need that.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 1:33 PM   #4

Default More Info...

Genesis Camera
814 West Lancaster Avenue
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010

Phone Numbers:
610-527-5260
610-527-5261
610-527-5831
610-527-3442
610-527-5148 (fax)

BBB Online Company Profile:
http://www.bbbonline.com/consumer/pr...21914361320711

BBB Complaint Report:
http://www.dc.bbb.org/report.html?co...778&national=Y
Old Aug 14, 2003, 7:16 PM   #5

Better Businees Bureau won't help as they won't give a review of a non member and they will NOT give a bad review of a member. It's all about the membership fees. Just a waste of time!!!
geyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 9:11 PM   #6

Do you have home/renters insurance? I would imagine something like this may be covered by your insurance company if you had placed insurance on your camera itself. Thats what I do to my high valued items. (ie: Jeweler, Computers, BigScreen's, and of course Camera's)
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:07 PM   #7

This problem is a good reason to establish a good relationship with a good local shop. I buy most of my accessories from a local firm, and more expensive items where there is a major cost difference from online firms such as B&H. If the price is anywhere close I buy locally. When I need a bit of advice or need a repair my local shop is only too happy to help. Just a thought. An ounce of prevention, etc.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 4:46 PM   #8

Default I finally got my camera back!!

Thanks for all your feedback. I learned a good lesson and got lucky this time. Luckily my D1X was mailed back to me by Genesis Camera (www.genesiscamera.com) when they said they sent it out by FedEx 2nd day air but was apparently not scanned when it was picked up and then got lost for 2 weeks. After looking up the tracking number for the 20th time it did appear but their was no history before it got to Honolulu.
Thanks again everybody!

Mike
http://www.islandracer.com
islandracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 11:19 PM   #9

I am releaved to hear that you got the camera.

I know I'd be very unhappy without mine for that long.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2003, 7:49 AM   #10

islandracer,

Congrats on the return. You did get lucky. Definitely find a good shop on the islands, the west coast, or sent it to Nikon in Torrance, CA. I think they will fix grey market cameras (no warrenty work), but it will cost you. Call them to be sure.

Good Luck,