Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:04 AM   #1

I am planning on buying a new D80 shortly and need help in getting a kit or buying the body and a lens. I work in a preschool and like to take a lot of candid shots both outdoors and in the classroom. Some portrait but not too much. Don't think I'll need a lot of zoom. I can't afford the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6g IF-ED AF-S DX VR NIKKOR so I was thinking about the Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF AF-S DX NIKKOR which got very good reviews from various sites. Any other suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
goblow1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2007, 3:58 AM   #2

Hello goblow,
I have the D80 and I opted for the 18-70 DX. I absolutely love it, however I tend to use it mainly for landscapes etc. For the uses you mentioned it might be better getting something with a wider aperture...like a constant f 2.8 that can blur troublesome or distracting backgrounds. The wider aperture would also be of benefit in lower light situations. There's several options, but a few ideas might be Sigma's 18-50 f 2.8, or Tamron's 17-50 f 2.8. Just my two cents
goomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 5:25 AM   #3

No harm in taking the kit lense. Is not like END of the world when compared with 18-70mm. I be honest and tell you that 18-135mm is pretty good enough lens for any general purpose. Not the best of both worlds but if you do your own editing I dont think there is any problems. Besides these two lens have less distortion than the 18-200mm VR. Of course you cant compare with the VR function, use a stand for the 18-135mm.

If you want a cheap all in one, get the kit lens. If you think it is very critical on the 18-70mm side then go for that lens.
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2007, 5:24 PM   #4

Hey goomer and nexus works. Thanks for the advice. I haveread some reviewsthat have been very kind tothe 18-55mm kit lens. I guess what I am asking is between the 18-55mm and the 18-70mm what are the main differences and which one is a better "all purpose" until I can upgrade to the 18-200mm VR? Also,which if any aftermarket brand is most compatible with Nikon dslr's=? Thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 12:28 AM   #5

Plan your purchase properly and decide what you really need. Otherwise you are just loosing money buying the wrong lens.

I would go for 18-70mm over 18-55mm just purely for the reach and quality of this lens is pretty good.

An all in one lens like 18-200mm VR had some bad comments which you should consider whether they are disadvantages to you.

Example: that lens creeps in the zoom, gets too loose according to some reviews. Distortion is also very high compared even to the 18-70mm on the wide angle end. Pictures are quite good though despite those factors.

However distortion can easily be fixed if you have DXO Optics pro or Bible Labs. or PS-CS1/2/3

18-70mm is a good choice as you may deside you dont need a VR for this range but maybe 70-300mm VR? In which this lens compliments well. Nothing against the 18-55mm though but I cant find major reasons why I should not get the little bit further reach in the zoom. I myself use a 17-55mm DX and the 70-300mm VR the missing gap is minimal.

Go according to your budget and purpose. You can also see that the 18-135mm may just cost reasonably less and does a pretty good job as well. Really depends on how critical you look at things. I feel that the 18-135mm is a good all in one combo, only no VR. Again this is only if you need the further reach of zoom.

I go 18-70mm as my first choice if there is no need to zoom further.
nexusworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2007, 9:56 AM   #6

Thanks for all of your help. I have read really good things about the 18-55mm from Ken Rockwells site and he actually recommends it over all the kit lenses except for the 18-200. I'll have to see the price difference between the 18-55 and the 18-70. Zoom is not a major priority right now as I really want to play and learn with the camera until I invest $ in good glass ie:18-200vr. I have heard that with the 18-135mm lens it might be a little more trouble at the zoom end without vr so I would need a tri or monopod. Thanks.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:43 AM   #7

Since owning a D80, I had been totally confused with taking pictures. I used to simply point and shoot, with whatever camera I had at the time. Now, I find myself picking and choosing my shots and lenses, like never before...

I bought my D80 some 6 months ago and it came with the 18 - 135mm kit lens. I was quite happy with it -for a while. Then my brother (who has been into photography for many years and owns a D200) told me to get a Sigma 70 - 200mm HSM. That was a great investment and it gave me great satisfaction using this lens.Then I wanted more, so I bought a 60mm Micro, then a 50mm std lens and found myself buying a 24mm lens the other day.

Many moons ago I found that the 18 - 135mm lens took some horriblly distorted shots at it lowest zoom (widest angle), from 18mm up to about 50 or 60mm.Everytime I took shots where there were many straight verticaledges, such as in town and around buildings, I got terrible barrelling which just made the shot look like we were in an earthquake zone. Tall buildings looked like they all converged at some point just off the edge of the shot somewhere in the sky.At higher magnification, from about 100 - 135mm, it did the exactopposite and appeared to havean inward bowingtoward the centre of the picture. The only usable range was from about 50 - 100mm.The last straw was when I took a photo of my work inside a house where we rebuilt a kitchen and lounge room and the customer was so amazed at our work, shewantedpictures of it, seeing I had my camera with me at the time, so I snapped a few shots and later emailed them to her. Upon viewing the shots, I was horribly p*ssed off at the amount of bulged looking walls and doorways. This was when I started buying single length lenses - hence the 24mm, 50mm and 60mm lenses... The Sigma 70-200mm and its 1.4x Teleconverter do not suffer from this so it stays, but the 18 - 135mm kit lens can go take a flying leap... Buying these single length lenses have cured my whoahs and I am now able to save my shots without using Photoshop to correct them... I now have a good usable range from 24mm to approx 300mm. All I have to do is make sure I select the appropriate lens at the time.

Don't get me wrong but apart from some higher zoom range lenses, I will never buy any lower wide angle zoom lensesstarting from the 15to30mm - up to whatever range,,because I have been doing some reading about it and most of them suffer the same fate, even some horrifically high end lenses with prices to match suffer too. Many people know of this and accept it and even make good use of the barrelling effect, but personally I can't stand it as it makes some of my shots my shots look like they were taken by a drunken fool. I am aware of the cause of this phenomena, I just hate the results. My brother recently bought a Nikon 18 - 200mm VR lens and it even happens with this lens too. It's quite acceptable to him, and I dare say most others don't even give it a second thought.

My only word is to make sure you are ready for the results of these zoomlenses under certain conditions. I still carry the 18 - 135mm lens with me but almost emphatically refuse to use it "unless" certain conditions exist...

Wide angle zoom lenses now have but "ONE" benefit in my opinion... they are convenient...!!! It also appears that the higher the zoom range, the more the pronounced affect... 18 - 135mm has a zoom of 7.5x... If you must get a zoomer, go for something in and around 2 to 3x, eg 18 - 50mm,, 24 - 70mm. I have no doubt that the cheaper end lenses (which quite often incorperate usable zoom ranges) are the biggest offenders,, although every now and then a cheap lens may stand out as a real bargain...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:43 PM   #8

Thanks. have decided to go with the 18-55mm kit lens and the 55-200mm vr. Great reviews and vibration reduction for around 225.00
Old Dec 23, 2007, 6:39 AM   #9

How about using a Sigma 170-500mmon aD80? Any feedback using this lens for outdoor sports like car racing or football? Thanks
mika888 is offline   Reply With Quote