Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Jul 21, 2002, 2:42 AM   #1

Default Which DSLR should I go for?

Hi all,
I am torn between which DSLR camera I should go for?

At present I have a Canon EOS 50E and would like to get DSLR.
I quite like the D100 over the D60, but is it a better camera?

Please help!

William
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2002, 5:09 AM   #2

Default Is that the right question.

I am looking at turn digital too. I have a number of Nikon lens and cost would prevent me from change mount.

Can you afford to change?
ashenfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2002, 10:06 AM   #3

if you really gotta do it. bite the bullet and say hello to an EOS 1D. the of course there is the D60. it's tough to change over mounts with the investment in glass. i mean if its only 2 lenses and not so much money spent on them then its an option. but if you have a collection then i'd say no
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2002, 12:23 PM   #4

I agree with most people option, that if you have several lens, but as I only have 1 at the moment, that why I wasn't to worried as to which make I go for!

My question realy is, is it going to be the D100 or D60?
I'm sorry to say that I can't quite afford to "bite the bullet" on the EOS 1D.... maybe one day!
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2002, 3:48 PM   #5

Default What to buy ?

If you have Nikon lenses get the D100, if Canon get the D60. NEVER the EOS 1D...It's an old technology 4.3 Megapixel boat anchor.
IF you can wait...get the next 'EOS 2D'.
Or wait for the Nikon DM....35 MEG TIFFS (this will clearly surpass film for 99% of users), with a physical chip size that of film (wide angles will be wide angles), carrying TWO GIG's of CF cards !
Bim the cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2002, 9:36 PM   #6

gee is the rumor mill running overtime today?
the "DM"?
if its true it and i can almost guarentee some variation of the rumor is true. it will make all the others obsolete overnight. even the ones just out in the past weeks we've all been waiting with baited breath for. now that i will drop $5000 for if i have any money left from this wonderful market is done with me. of course canon will have theirs too. then the oly e-30 and more. the toys at photoplus will abound. maybe?

[Edited on 7-24-2002 by sjms]
Old Jul 24, 2002, 9:52 AM   #7

you know it seems everybody skirts the fact that there is a real full frame dslr out there. its list is $7000 but can be purchased at about $5200. great lenses. no compromise on imaging. regretfully everybody wants to jump in and are quite willing to short change themselves. $2500 here $2000 there. a new body every time a new innovation comes out. if your going to change lens mounts how does zeiss sound. the contax n1 is beyond everthing thats out as of ths day. it is the first no compromise dslr. now of course this will change this fall or next spring when the rest of the bunch play catch up.

talk about boat anchors. this new crop doesn't even rate boat anchor status.

[Edited on 7-24-2002 by sjms]
Old Jul 25, 2002, 2:00 AM   #8

Default 1.5 lens factor on D100

Am I missing something here? A lot of people are rapping dSLRs because of the loss of wide angle, but no one is commenting on the increase at the telephoto end. Isn't my 300 mm now behaving like a 450mm? Boat anchors indeed...
Ken
Ken Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2002, 5:24 AM   #9

Ken. The lens 1.5 is an issue for many as they may well have a very nice 20mm lens or simulair. To get the same you need a 14mm, which going to distort badly and not give the same results.

You can by a 1.5x convert to extend your lens but not really the other way round.
ashenfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2002, 8:18 AM   #10

i think youl see yourself eyeing that full frame dslr in about a year or less. just as on person said "the eos-1d that 4.3MP boat anchor" so will be the d60 and f100. you'll al be praising the new object of your desire. it will be faster, sharper and all your lenses will be their original sizes andfully usable. yes, INDEED.

you are purchasing an interim product thats filling the gap before the well crafted/thought out ones come out. contax jumped a generation.

it's your money. i'm holding on to mine to get my money's worth.

remember the first cd players. they were a ok but nothing like todays. it only took 2 years for that to occur. even dvds players in less than 2 years have changed. it's this way with all technologies. i guess someones got be the first.

[Edited on 7-25-2002 by sjms]