Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 14, 2003, 8:25 PM   #1

Default D2H preview

For those that care, Rob Galbraith has a very good, indepth review of the D2H. He clearly had some time with the camera.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp

I haven't read all of it, but on paper it sounds like Nikon really raised the bar on this one.

A long time Nikon using friend of mine suggested that maybe all the work that was going into the F6 went into this. They really changed and invented a lot of stuff for this one.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2003, 12:58 AM   #2

sounds like an awesome camera and canon 1d has a competitor finally...but where is the d2x?
mrdinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2003, 3:20 PM   #3

You aren't the first to ask that. I wonder too.

Eric
Old Aug 16, 2003, 3:02 AM   #4

I wished there were high ISO samples on that review... imagine 6400 ISO clean as 400 ISO? Woohoo!!!! Maybe my SB80-DX could go into early retirement :lol:
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 1:57 PM   #5

Thanks to all the information up above, and all the discussions posted here, I just ordered a D2h. B&H just added them to their "available list", and after going 'round and 'round on what to get, I figured this is probably the best choice for me.

One quick question - when people buy batteries for these cameras, is it better to just get the standard Nikon battery, or can batteries be purchased from several sources?

I suspect that it's only from Nikon, but in looking around at other Nikon cameras, I thought I saw where various companies had Nikon batteries and another brand for sale...

Along the same lines - are these new batteies like the old NiCad batteries, that have "memory". Do you have to wait until the battery is dead before charging it up again, or if it's half used up, can you just put it on the charger for a while and bring it up to capacity?
mikemyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2003, 6:37 PM   #6

I believe the Nikon batteries don't have a memory effect. You'll have to ask someone who has them and/or knows more than I.

I haven't seen much talk about after market batteries around here. I've got one for my canon and it seems to be working fairly well (once I got by the first 2-3 charges, as expected.) I would check on dpreview.com, their forums might have more.

Eric
Old Sep 29, 2003, 9:25 PM   #7

The Nikon batteries (Li-Ion type) do not have memory, and you can buy aftermarket batteries to fit specific cameras. I don't think you'll find aftermarket EN-EL4 batteries for a while since the D2h hasn't even shipped out yet, and the EN-EL4 is a new battery from Nikon. It took the aftermarket longer than a year to come up with replacements for the EN-EL3 for my D100, but I'm still running off of one main and a backup EN-EL3, both from Nikon. I guess when I really need more spares I'll get a PowerEX replacement instead, just a tad cheaper than Nikon.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2003, 11:01 PM   #8

If this link works, it's a nice report of trying to capture sports photos with a D2h....

http://photos8.msn.com/editorial/Edi...ction=FEATURES
Old Oct 14, 2003, 3:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdinh
sounds like an awesome camera and canon 1d has a competitor finally...but where is the d2x?
It's coming...very slowly I guess by the time it hits the market, price-wide should be less than $5,000 and Canon will force to lower their 1Ds price to the same range. I'm sure that both Nikon and Canon are working on the digital versions of the F100 and EOS-3 and the pricing will probably between $2000-$2,500.

Just a thought, so don't get so exited about this...
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2003, 11:21 PM   #10

Both the people at B&H Photovideo and the person I spoke to at Nikon earlier today said that a large shipment of D2h cameras is expected to be shipped out in very early November. So, if you're waiting for one, maybe your wait is almost over.

I've gone round and round on this... I've got a D2h on order, but I've been wondering if a D100 would be good enough, for less money, and less weight. I remember when I used to use my F4 for lots of things, then got an N90 because it was lighter. I think I did better with the F4 though.

I suspect I'm not going to like the weight of the D2h, but it seems to have everything the D100 has, and much more.