Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 21, 2007, 4:40 PM   #11

fotogal,,

What I should have said, but only partially said was...

You need only buy a new cord from the wall to the charger, simply so you get the correct plug on the end of it.. Of course, this cord will have the correct wire to handle the correct load for that country and their household voltage/current... You will be able to buy that cord in the country once you get their if you can't already get one where you are because the fitting on the charger unit is quite universal,, only the plug pins at the wall may differ. See my photo in your other thread...

Don't get all carried away about the right current and the right wire etc etc etc,, as the current at mains voltage used to power the charger is in millamps and not amps so these answers are getting too technical.

Just go out and buy the correct adaptor lead/cord. If you are unsure which to get, simply wait until you get to the country and find an appliance store and take the charger with you and buy it...

Sorry for letting this TINY subject get way out of hand...
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2007, 7:26 PM   #12

Oops, I'm confused again. I have the correct adapters for China that will fit their sockets. Do I use the cord that came with the charger and just plug it in to the adapter? The adapter will accommodate the US plug on the female side.

OR...are you saying that I have to buy a whole new cord.

I'm confused again and technologically challenged.
fotogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 6:00 AM   #13

You can use your own cord and charger.
PhotoFusion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 5:28 PM   #14

Well, a new cord,, with a wall plug (for that country)on one end and that socket which looks like a figure "8" on the other,, would be the answer but if PhotoFusion2 is correct then they may have the same power fittings as the ones you need. First find exactly what plug you actually need, either from an appliance store or even simpler, use google search. Once you find out, buy that complete lead/cord approx 1 metre in length, or if you like the idea of using an adaptor tip like has also been suggested, buy one of those. Just whatever you do, make sure you get the same plug fitting for that country.
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 9:29 PM   #15

I've checked the computer for the correct adapters and bought a set of 5. I'm sure that, of the five, I will have the right ones for China. The surge protector I bought (110-240V) to charge multiple devices has a grounded (three prong) US plug. Will a U.S. 3 to 2 adapter (also rated at 125V) work? The configuration would be grounded US plug from surge protector - to 3 to 2 adapter - to Chinese adapter that will receive the two prong US plug from the 3 to 2.

This is all very complicated and I appreciate the responses I've thusfar received.
fotogal is offline   Reply With Quote