Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Dec 6, 2007, 12:04 PM   #91
Administrator

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Full review of the D300 at Cameralabs.com...see here...

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D300/
Interesting. Looking at the image samples on the results page, it looks like the new Sony DSLR-A700 has noticeably better image processing using the camera's default settings (see the menu choices at the top fo this page for outdoor images, noise samples resolution charts, etc.), with less Moiré and artifacting in the lines on the charts from what I can tell from them, too. I'll admit that I'm biased (since I'm shooting with the Sony DSLR-A700 now). ;-)

That surprises me, since raw is much better than jpeg with the Sony from what I've seen so far. But, the Nikon default settings may be tuned to allow for more post processing, too (not as much sharpening, etc.).

I also don't know what firmware versions the reviewer used (and Sony did just recently release newer firmware for the DSLR-A700 to improve image processing). I wouldn't be surprised to see Nikon do the same thing. It looks like manufacturers are tuning the hardware design to allow for more firmware based image processing changes in some of the newer models now.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 9:32 AM   #92

Here's some D3 (Sandro) footage where a pro puts a D3 through it's paces at a raceway. See here....

http://www.stunningnikon.com/challen...mp;ATTR=img005

There are two other segments with two other pros (hate that word "pro" heh) but one deals with the Nikn Speedlight system and the other Nikkor lens.

Have a look!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 3:13 PM   #93

Just got my D300 yesterday , amazing DSLR , lots of new cool features and very well improved high ISO results makes it exceptional .

I had a D40 , would you believe it , what an upgrade :lol:
My D40 did produce very good results but it` more the lens compatibility which made me change.

Got at the same time one of those SanDisk Extreem IV 4gb memorycard , blistering fast results (40mb per sec) :O

guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 3:25 PM   #94

guillermovilas wrote:
Quote:
Just got my D300 yesterday , amazing DSLR , lots of new cool features and very well improved high ISO results makes it exceptional .

My D40 did produce very good results but it` more the lens compatibility which made me change.

Got at the same time one of those SanDisk Extreem IV 4gb memorycard , blistering fast results (40mb per sec) :O

You think the SanDisk is fast? Get a Lexar UDMA card! The D3/D300 (and one other...which DSLR? Escapes me at the moment) are they only ones supporting UDMA cards right now. Supposed to be the fastest on the market right now.

Congrats on your D300! Might be getting one myself. Or possibly a D3. Though, as I mentioned in Canada and in the UK, Nikon Canada/UK are taking it upon themselves to allocate supplies only to working photographers initially. They say this will last throughout the winter. But anything can happen. The demand is too great.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:10 PM   #95

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
guillermovilas wrote:
Quote:

You think the SanDisk is fast? Get a Lexar UDMA card! The D3/D300 (and one other...which DSLR? Escapes me at the moment) are they only ones supporting UDMA cards right now. Supposed to be the fastest on the market right now.

Congrats on your D300! Might be getting one myself. Or possibly a D3. Though, as I mentioned in Canada and in the UK, Nikon Canada/UK are taking it upon themselves to allocate supplies only to working photographers initially. They say this will last throughout the winter. But anything can happen. The demand is too great.
The SanDisk Extrem IV is UDMA and another user and i have tested the difference , the SanDisk came on top and well on top .

Testing method :

Nef 14bit RAW(uncompressed) shooting 4 frames in a row ( so 4 pics make 100mb) , shooting at 1/250sec f/2.8 manuel mode , timing starts when pushing first time shutter and finishing when green light turns off ( that`s when the pics are all recorded)

Results:

Lexar 4GB Professional UDMA 300x = 5 to 6sec
SanDisk Extrem IV = 4 sec

Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:28 PM   #96

And to confirm the test have a look here :

http://www.photoreview.com.au/tips/b...ory-cards.aspx

Conclusion is the same

1st Sandisk Extrem IV
Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:36 PM   #97

guillermovilas wrote:
Quote:

Conclusion is the same

1st Sandisk Extrem IV
Thanks for posting the article. But if you look again you'll find that the Sandisk only beat the Lexar when it cam to writing JPEG. Not when it came to RAW and RAW+JPEG.

What I found funny is how they got different results with different cameras. With the Canon 40D the Lexar UDMA beat the SanDisk E4 across the board. As close as the numbers were.

In the end you couldn't go wrong with either and will come down to which one is selling for less.

Tell us how it goes when you get around to shooting pics at ISO 800 or greater. Interested.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:42 PM   #98

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
guillermovilas wrote:
Quote:

Conclusion is the same

1st Sandisk Extrem IV
Thanks for posting the article. But if you look again you'll find that the Sandisk only beat the Lexar when it cam to writing JPEG. Not when it came to RAW and RAW+JPEG.

What I found funny is how they got different results with different cameras. With the Canon 40D the Lexar UDMA beat the SanDisk E4 across the board. As close as the numbers were.

In the end you couldn't go wrong with either and will come down to which one is selling for less.

Tell us how it goes when you get around to shooting pics at ISO 800 or greater. Interested.
Yes , the results are pretty amazing at high ISO.

When you think that the reviews state that the D3 gives very astonishing results at 6400 ISO ,waouw.... I`m quite happy with my D300
Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:48 PM   #99

guillermovilas wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
guillermovilas wrote:
Quote:

Conclusion is the same

1st Sandisk Extrem IV

Yes , the results are pretty amazing at high ISO.

When you think that the reviews state that the D3 gives very astonishing results at 6400 ISO ,waouw.... I`m quite happy with my D300
That's partly why I'm vaguely entertaining the thought of picking up a D3. Among many other reasons. Would have been interesting to see them test the memory cards with the D3 too. Oh well.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:54 PM   #100

So what do you have at the moment ?