Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Nikon dSLR

Old Aug 29, 2007, 4:33 PM   #11

It was funny to see allot of rumors and speculations on other forums. But since the cameras were officially annouced it has been awefully quiet, also on other forums.

I guess all the canon lovers got quiet because of the impressive new nikons
And the nikon owners are working 24/7 to make enough money to buy that new D3 with a shiny 600 f4
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2007, 5:00 PM   #12
Super Moderator

I think everyone is excited (Nikon and Canon owners alike) to see what the new cameras are going to be like in real life, but until someone gets their hands on them and starts saying this is good, that doesn't work like it should etc (same as they did with the Canon MKIII) then people have run out of things to say apart form "I would like one in my kit!!".

As a Canon owner I'm thinking that I would like to get a Nikon as well, but I know that Canon will wake up and produce something great the next time around and the tools are available for me to get the shots I want with the current offerings. However I would love those toys at the prices mentioned.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:43 AM   #13

Yea, I agree also. Im new to this but I cant see people switching from one brand to the other, like the "olden" days LOL.All they have to do is wait till the next model from their own brand. Regardless of who comes up with what, its exciting for me to see where this technology is going to go, esp with regards to noise at high ISOs, which is the next mountain to climb, IMO. The MP frontier has been conquered...right?
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:49 AM   #14

The D3 is 5 grand!! I guess I better start saving those green stamps now
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:37 AM   #15
Super Moderator

DRGSin wrote:
Quote:
Yea, I agree also. Im new to this but I cant see people switching from one brand to the other, like the "olden" days LOL.All they have to do is wait till the next model from their own brand. Regardless of who comes up with what, its exciting for me to see where this technology is going to go, esp with regards to noise at high ISOs, which is the next mountain to climb, IMO. The MP frontier has been conquered...right?
I would say you are right, the only people who might switch are those who only have a couple of basic lenses and were looking at moving up the food chain, other than that there is too much invested in glass, flash, etc.

As for the MP situation, it does seem that the top end is settling at the 12mp range for most uses. It is only the out and out studio 'toys' like the 1Ds MKIII at 21mp, the Mamiya ZD at 22mp and the Hasselblad HD3 at 39mp plus some other fancy digital backs on the market.

Noise is going to be key for those of us who are into photography, however I'm concerned that marketing people will latch onto the MP race rather than the low noise race which is not easy for Job Public to grasp.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 5:13 PM   #16

DRGSin wrote:
Quote:
as exciting as this news is and what it can possible mean for Nikon, Im really surprised it hasnt gotten much attention on this site.
It's all being talked about on the Canon section. You know how envy is...
dwaldmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 8:06 AM   #17

Well the road that I think all the manufacturers should be going

down, should be to make pro-level cameras cheaper bycutting out all

the bells and whistles, and provide free decent PP software with

their cameras, at the end of the day It's the quality of the photo's

that their camera'sturn out that counts not the exterior gloss of

the camera, even give the option of rangefinder as well as dslr types.

...............................musket
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 11:57 AM   #18

musket wrote:
Quote:
Well the road that I think all the manufacturers should be going

down, should be to make pro-level cameras cheaper bycutting out all

the bells and whistles,
The challenge there is: one person's "bells and whistles" are another person's essential attributes. Try to gain any consensus whatsoever on what are the top essential featues - my guess is you cant do it. For my shooting style, live view isn't very useful - I would have preferred manufacturers not invest in that technology but invest in other areas. But there are a lot of people who want that feature. And, like it or not - it's a business. And in business, the Golden Rule is always applied: Those who have the Gold, Make the rules. So if enough people want certain features and market analysis indicates that fact - then a manufacturer will invest.

But really, how much can be said about the news that isn't already said? Other forums get overrun by the same tired speculation threads. To what end? The announcements look great on paper. When the cameras actually start getting produced and tested in the field there will be another round of threads regarding what isn't working and what is working and how this is the "XXXX" beater - insert any camera for XXXX. For some odd reason which I can't understand there are a huge number of photographers who are obsessed with the idea that their system is better than any other system.

As a canon user I'm excited by the announcements. I don't suffer from system envy. I don't cry that the sky is falling and Canon is doomed. Its great because it's competition. It pushes the manufacturer of my system to do a better job. Just like Pentax, Sony and Oly are pushing both Canon & Nikon. But in the end, after saying "wow - that looks like it could be a great couple of cameras" what else can you say until real world field tests are done?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 3:52 PM   #19

Look at these shots

http://nikonimaging.com/global/produ.../d3/sample.htm

Gotta love that ISO 6400 one the noise is only really visible in OOF areas.
imoAnd ISO 400 is as smooth as iso 100 shots from other cameras (rebels and 30d's)..

Cmon don't tell me you dont love this!
chris89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2007, 3:41 PM   #20

Pro cameras and bundled software? Once you're at that level does what software a manufacturer gives you "the pro" reallly matter? I would tihnk not. Bundled software, for the most part, is just to get the user started. Even then, no matter the model of DSLR (entry-level or pro) do we really stick iwth it? I don't. And I'm a novice with a P&S. Soon after I bought my Sony DSC-H1 I used one free photo browser/light editing software called Picasa 2. Then I bought Adobe Photoshop Elements. I never used the bundled software.

And as the saying goes "...you get what you pay for". Or "don't pay for" in the case of "free" software.

But Nikon, IMHO, has always had the right thinking as for as a "systematic approach" is concerned. They are one of the few manufacturers that have thought beyond just developing the camera by putting a concentrated effort in putting out a powerful piece of software called Capture NX. Yes, you must pay! But what you do get is a very capable software package developed by the same people who built the camera. A truly "non-destructive" approach.

The new D300/D3 even includes "Capture NX Processing" built into the XSPEED processor. Talking about an intergrated design. From taking the picture, in-camera Capture NX processing to computer based photo editing using the same "language".

Any how, now we wait for the D300/D3 to hit the "market". It's going to be a long 2 and some odd months wait. At least for us Canucks. The D300/D3 aren't scheduled to arrive till December 10th. Officially that is.

Have a good weekend guys!
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote